Massive Flow Sensor Problem-2002 Accent

"Mass Air Flow Sensor"

"Misfire Cylinders 1, 2, 3"

"Main Catalyst Below Threshold"

"Bank 1"

OK, it's a little garbled... but MAF sensor bad, causing bad mixture, misfires and emission control problem wouldn't seem too far off the mark at first glance.

However, it's not my area of expertise. I would welcome any advice or suggestions as to what to check or how to proceed.

Right now, the course of action if I don't get more info either here or on Google is to replace the MAF. Unless I find a dead mouse in the air filter or something. This car has not had regular maintenance. He wants to drive it to Florida next week....

The parts place wanted to know what engine he has; the VIN is KMHCF35GX1U12xxxx. If nobody knows off the top of their head, I will try the Hyundai site but it only works with Windows so is not simple for me the next few days.

Thanks to anybody for assistance!

PB

Reply to
Plague Boy

Accent is now barely running. He was trying to pass somebody (!) the

Reply to
Plague Boy

I'm betting the catalyst efficiency code will come back. Driving a car while the engine is badly misfiring (indicated by a flashing check engine lamp) will typically cause catalyst damage.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Well, the MIL has stayed off as of today....we'll see what happens. He's going to drive the car to FL Thursday.

Thanks for the reply.

PB

Reply to
Plague Boy

He picked me up and took me to the airport Dec. 19th. Check engine light was on, I noticed. I presume he's still in FL but I will see how it went when he gets back and post anything interesting.

PB

Reply to
Plague Boy