New Hyundai Accent (auto) , or, Toyota Corolla L (auto) ???

Just wondering if anyone has been thru this consideration ? Both are coming in at almost the same price from my local Dealers . Toyota is historically known for their high quality and good resale value..but...ive owned a couple of Hyundais in the past and have had good luck with them except for resale . Further, I like the newly engineered Engine in the Accent and its comfort and responsiveness. But im a little taken aback with Hyundais recent admission of posting excessive MPG values on their factory sticker which the majority of owners arent getting (IE : Formerly 40 mpg highway...and now 37 mpg highway) .
What to do, what to do.....
Please weight in if you like. Thanks.
On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 09:43:33 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

in at almost the same price from my local Dealers . Toyota is historically known for their high quality and good resale value..but...ive owned a couple of Hyundais in the past and have had good luck with them except for resale . Further, I like the newly engineered Engine in the Accent and its comfort and responsiveness. But im a little taken aback with Hyundais recent admission of posting excessive MPG values on their factory sticker which the majority of owners arent getting (IE : Formerly 40 mpg highway...and now 37 mpg highway) .

Resale value has climbed on Hyundai in recent years. I've been able to trade up to newer models easily for that reason. OTOH, if you are keeping the car for a long time, resale makes no difference at all.
As for the mpg ratings, it allegedly was a misinterpretation, not a willful act. Who knows? Who know if other brands have not done the same thing? I pay little attention to it as no car of any brand I've ever owned came close to the EPS estimates.
Last time I looked at a Corolla, it was kind of chintzy inside, but that was a couple of years ago. So was their reputation for quality. I don't think it is any better than anyone else these days. For that matter, I don't think there are many really bad ones either, not like the 1950's when you went back to the dealer with a list of 25 to 30 items to fix. My last three Hyundai have had 0 items. My last three GM cars had one or two.
I'd go with the car that had the best looks and was the most fun to drive.
On Monday, December 24, 2012 12:41:10 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

This may sound unusual, but looks are secondary to me as i think they all look pretty good and fun driving is not in the equation as such a car is point A to point B transportation with nearly all highway driving . What IS high on my priority list is the mechanical engineering , reliability, and longevity .
On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 08:01:28 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

As I stated, most every car is going to give you good reliability. There will always be that one from any company that seem more trouble prone, but that is a crap shoot.
As for "fun" that point A to B can be miserable or pleasant. The right control layout, the right radio, seat comfort, shifting ease, pedal location mirror adjustment, all contribute to how well you travel on the highway.
Personally, I can get away with a 10 year old Accent or Escort, etc, for my 24 mile ride to work, but I don't. I like having good heat and AC, listening to XM radio, using cruise control, a comfy seat, etc. So, instead of looking for that Dodge Omni, I have a Sonata with all the goodies. I treat myself well. What car fits you best?
One thing that has impressed me about Hyundais is the engineering. If you work on your own cars you will notice that they design things so that you can get to things MUCH better than other car companies. I cannot speak for Toyotas but I can for Hondas. Huyndais are definitely easier to work on, the parts are cheaper, and they are less complex.
I hear you about basic transportation... though I am a can nut. I am still leaning towards keeping my '99 Elentra instead of selling it and buying a new Accent but I am tempted. Since the Elentra is a TX car it has no rust, it has manual crank windows (awesome, less weight and less to break), and automatic/AC/AM-FM. I wish it were a manual transmission, but my wife prefers automatics. It was the car my kids used in HS and college but now is mine. (I can keep things running whereas they need something more worry free.)
I keep my '64 and 65 VW Beetles for "fun".
KWW On 12/25/2012 11:07 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

--- ---
On Tuesday, December 25, 2012 11:07:33 AM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

In reality, what fits me best is a pretty straight-forward car without alot of whistles and bells. I only require a basic am/fm/cd combo , auto trans , a fairly quiet ride on the highway , and adequate leg room which virtually all economy cars offer me . The 10 yr/100 k warranty is a big plus as is the fact ive owned a 2000 Sonata and 2002 SantaFe that were reliable. I wish Hyundai offered a loyalty program when buying another new Hyundai ... i think they did when i bought the 2002 SantaFe .
< I wish Hyundai offered a loyalty program when buying another new Hyundai ... i think they did when i bought the 2002 SantaFe .
2013 sonata - From $20,995
$0 Due At Lease Signing - Lease starting at $245/month for 36 months (12/1/2012 - 1/2/2013) Low APR 0.9% for 36mos, 1.9% for 48mos, 2.9% for 60mos, 3.9% for 72 mos PLUS $1,500 Holiday Bonus Cash (12/1/2012 - 1/2/2013) $500 Valued Owner Coupon Offer (12/1/2012 - 1/2/2013) $500 Competitive Owner Coupon Offer (

On Thursday, December 27, 2012 10:11:42 AM UTC-6, Partner wrote:

Is this just on the Sonata, or does it include the Accent as well ????
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

This is an apples vs oranges comparison. The Accent is a sub-compact, while the Corolla is a compact. The Elantra is the Hyundai that competes with the Corolla.
--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH
On Monday, December 24, 2012 8:44:17 PM UTC-6, Larry Weil wrote:

But, the Elantra is not in the same price range as the Corolla. If i was going to spend more money, id go with the Elantra with it being voted the best North American Car of the year for 2012 in its class.

going to spend more money, id go with the Elantra with it being voted the best North American Car of the year for 2012 in its class.

Check your figures again, make sure you are comparing same level of options. An apples to apples compare shows the Accent to be around $2,000 less and the Elantra about $500 less than the Corolla. Of course Hyundai gives you 5 years warranty, not 3 like Toyota.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

Good morning
After Toyota's recent failure with the Camry in the latest crash tests, the problems with accelerators and the fact that they seem to have sacrificed quality to try and get back into the profitable side of the ledger then I would be very suspicious about the Tpyota line.
So what about the fuel figures....depends on how hard you push the pedal to the floor anyhow. Quality, reliability, good warranty in the Hyundai procucts to me, make the choice simple.
Neville in Australia Now on my second Hyundai and the next car will be one also