How much for brake service for 98 Isuzu Rodeo 2WD?

Hi All: I took my car for brake service for my 98 Isuzu Rodeo 2WD. I asked about for the front wheel with disc brake. The mechanic told me since it is a 2WD. It requires to take out the bearing to re-surface the rotor. He said it is a must to re-surface the rotor, otherwise the new pad won't fit with the rotor and cause vibration. Then the price from orginailly quoted $120 becomes $240. Get double. I won't it everthing he said is correct. Wonder how much it will cost to do the re-surface for the rotor and replace pad in the fremont california area? Besides, it is a must to re-surface the rotor for new brake pad. If not, how much should it be? He said he won't warranty if I don't re-surface to rotor. Is it true it is a must? He makes me uncomfortable with the their service, but nothing else I can do except asking for expert comment.

Thanks wingbay

Reply to
wingbay

Most brake shops will want to resurface the rotors whether they need it or not. A reputable brake shop, not one of these low ball chain places, will only turn the rotors if they actually need it. If they are not warped and don't have any deep gouges then they may not need it. If they are warped or have gouges then resurfacing will prevent pulsation or bad noise when braking. The downside to this is that each time they are resurfaced more metal is taken causing them to now be thinner reducing their ability to disappate heat.

$240 for just the front seems very steep. A normal brake service includes repacking the bearing so no idea why the shop wants to add for that. Look for something under $200 that includes new pads, resurface rotors if needed, repack bearing and bleed brake system.

w> Hi All:

Reply to
miles

I know this is an awful late post.... but, that's very expensive IMO, especially since you can purchase new rotors for around $50 a piece.

Reply to
43fan

I agree completely. $240 for front only amounts to theft in my opinion. Let's see, $100 for brand new rotors or $15 to have mine turned at O'Reilly, $40 for "premium" brake pads at Pep Boys or many other places and a couple of hours - at most - and I could have new brakes. I am by no means a great mechanic but no way in hell do they get $240 from me. There is no better way to get to know your vehicle than doing the work yourself. If you can't do it, find a friend who can and watch. These are not super advanced vehicles and you'll be amazed at what can be done by the owner. If you think that these are tough, try dealing with a modern VW! Andy

99 V6 Amigo
Reply to
Busman