Tires for 1998 Rodeo LS

Hey I have a '98 Rodeo 4WD with Sport package.. 65K on the original Goodyear Wrangler AP tires (245/70R16 I think), and it is time to replace them. I have been pretty happy with the all-around handling of the original tires but I am wondering if anyone has suggestions as to other tires which may be better, and why they are better. The Wrangler AP's seem to sell for $105-$130 each and I don't want to spend much more than that. My usage is mostly regular road driving but I do occasionally take it on snow, in heavy rain and also off road in sand, gravel and thick grass and I don't want to get stuck. So that aspect of the handling definitely matters.

Thanks

-Ben

Reply to
Ben

Miles

I agree, thats the right choice. You'll get better steering response and a more "solid" feel.

Reply to
Forty-Y

I have to disagree with the Michelin recommendations. The Goodyear MTRs are the way to go. They'll outlast the Michelins, plain and simple. I have run everything from Pirellis to Kellys to Dunlop on 4x4 and performance vehicles, and find the Goodyears have about 30+% more miles in them or more. My 98 Rodeo has 65K right now and I'm not even close to needing tires. The Michelins are probably quieter, though. One other option that has worked out very, very well for me is to go to Pep Boys and buy their Futura brand tires. Their light truck and on-offroad truck tires are a steal at the price and have a great mileage warranty. I even went to these on my Mustang Cobra, backing off from the Z-rated Michelins because I wasn't getting more than 15k out of them and they were about $240 each. Pirellis are even softer and barely go 12K. That's hard driving, though, and my Chevelle and Cobra both left a lot of rubber on the road. Check the Futuras. Good tread patterns, good prices (under 100 bucks/tire) and very good warranty. Just don't get sold on the new valve stems, alignment, etc. etc. etc. scam they'll try to put on you to bump up the price by close to another 50 dollars a tire sometimes. Goodyears are nice, too,and America's/Discount Tire always has them and gives a great price. Keep in mind that Sears will price match, too, even if you got the price over the phone. Last tip--the more "square" to the road the outside edge of the tire is, the louder they will end up being going down the road. Learned this the hard way. Rounded edges, same brand, tire and size, gives a quieter ride. Sometimes you can get two tires side by side, one the all-purpose with rounded edges and the other the more aggressive mud and snow or on/off-road tire. Same rubber, same brand, same apparent tread patterm, but the harder edged tire is lots louder. Just my very long two cents. I'm cheap and want the most tire for my dollar.

sinner

"Miles" wrote in message news:XFXlc.27710$6L3.18321@fed1read05...

Reply to
Sinner

I've never owned MTR's but have had Goodyear RT's and RS's. Both are horrible tires. Way to soft of sidewalls and thus handle poorly. The Michelin LTX's were available in load D and E ranges. I've always gotten 75K or more on a pair but I change tires before they're bald. The other problem I had with the Goodyears was flat tires when driving on dirt roads. They didn't handle the sharp rocks very well.

I do not know if the MTR's are a better tire than what I used but with bad experiences with other Goodyears I've never wanted to try.

Reply to
Miles