1988 jaguar xj6 oil pressure problem

I have a 1988 jaguar xj6 and the oil pressure gauge starts out midway when first started, then as the car warms up and is idle the
temperature gauge goes down to zero, then back up again when the car is moving. Would this problem be related to the oil pressure sending unit?
Dan, One of the most common problems as these engines age is the oil pressure sending unit. You need to get a new one. They run somewhere in the $40USD range and there are two types. You can get the old style -- which I prefer -- which gives you gradients OR you can get the new style which is a dead center on/off on the dash. Neither is all that accurate, but I like to think the moving bars mean something.
Webserve

Dan wrote:

You probably ought to have a shop check the pressure, because low oil pressure at idle is also a possible sign of excessive crank bearing wear, or a worn oil pump. Hopefully it's just a sender problem, but it might be best to know for certain.
Hi, Same thing on my 88 XJ40, most of the time it shows zero oil pressure and the red box is blinking. Sometimes it seems to half work. Former owner says its been that way for years. I am going to replace the sending unit eventually, hoping its not a screwy dash gauge. Meanwhile, I just listen for any pecks or knocks :o) Regards, Nathan
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Belinda Bates) wrote in

Nothing like a manual guage. I have manual temp and oil guages in all my Jagwahs (USA) Jag-u-are (AU) :-)
Jagwire <Newsguy> wrote in message

Maybe in the NE USA, verywhere else the say "Is that a Buick"> ;-)
JAG U WHAR
Blake
I can see many similarities in the body style between my 88 XJ40 and a late model (60's) Corvair. Always liked the later Corvairs, so it suits me :o) Never had either, but always wanted a Corvair and an Opel GT. Always liked the Bradley GT as well. Regards, Nathan
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Belinda Bates) wrote in

Corvair, are they not those dangerous rear engined chevs? I'd heard they handled like a pig.

Dangerous? Nah. Just Naders claim to book fame mostly, I think. I knew a few people who had them when I was a kid, all are still alive :o) "The famous racing driver, Roger Penske, once drove the GT and claimed he liked it better than the Porsche. We'd all like a chance to make the same comparison!" Above quote from: http://www.corvaircorsa.com/monzapr4.html Regards, Nathan
"Jagwire" <Newsguy> wrote in message

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Belinda Bates) wrote in message

I hated the XJ40 more than you could imagine! Now I find it very sexy.
Blake
snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com (DieInterim) wrote in

Your joking ??
Have you now got a square out look on life :-)
Ron
Jagwire <Newsguy> wrote in message

No, I simply have grown to like it after rubbing my hands over it for years and years. But I am talking about my Jag. ;-) And it is not just me, I still get many complements from strangers.
Sexy? You bet! Have you seen my Peugeot 505? lol
Blake
snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com (DieInterim) wrote in

Blake,
Who is the mob over there that say Jag-wire.
I hear it on the TV quite a lot, Ford I think.
Ron
Jagwire <Newsguy> wrote in message

I do think most people over here in the west side say Jag-wire. Most commercials use Californian narration but I think it would be cool to hear someone from Boston do a Jag ad.
Blake " I just loooked at my Jag. Yep its still sexy."
Are you using 20w-40 or 10w-30? My '94 will do that if I use 10w-30, but it is OK with 20w-40.