Has anyone ever Turbo charged or supercharge a 3.8 liter 6 cylinder in a XJ6

I'm searching for a points of contact to share any information, on engine builders or suggestions on adding a turbo or supercharger to the 3.8 liter XJ6 engine and a possible NOS system to boot once the turbo or blower is built. There is little media available for high performance modifications for these engines. Anybody make camshafts or intake goodies to make these engines air flow improve?

Reply to group, Thanks, John Shedlock

Reply to
John M Shedlock

Hi,

Well I have not personally "blown" the old 3.8, but have done so to other engines.

First of all I would like to stress that if you plan to charge this engine without installing custom low compression pistons, boost should not exceed 3psi. Even so, you will have to retard the static ignition timing and modify the advance curve or you'll melt the pistons or worse.

As far as camshafts go the stock ones should work well and not cause the power delivery to be narrowed to a specific r.p.m. range.

The old connecting rod bolts should be replaced with a more modern type, and truthfully, stronger lighter rods are recommended.

Jaguar exhaust is a damn good exhaust system, however removing the first silencers will help reduce restriction.

I recommend JE pistons with the skirts coated with moly, the crowns and undersides coated with a ceramic heat barrier coating. The Cylinderhead exhaust ports should also be coated with heat barrier coatings as well as inside the header pipes. It would also be wise to coat most of the engine with heat dispersant coatings: Block, head, valve springs.

It would be a real fun project with good performance, but an expensive one at that. I love turbo's, but it is not as simple or as clean as a custom system from -

Good Luck!

DieInterim

Reply to
Blake Dodson