Help! Engine cuts out '88 XJ-S 3.6

Had problems at the weekend (had to be towed home) with the engine cutting out or lumping - always at tickover or very slow (town) speeds.

As some background also went on a fairly long motorway trip last week - no problems but - when I left the motorway and went to the services I noticed a loud "wineing" - this noise raised in pitch as I revved the engine and seemed to be coming from the rear (fuel pump?).......No stalling or anything but thought it was weird - same thing on the way home - left the motorway and heard the wineing again - since then town traffic and no odd noise but then over the weekend it kept stalling.

First off it has less than a quarter tank of fuel in the tank so was wondering about dirt (replaced the fuel filter over the weekend - don't know if that will fix it though) or is the wineing noise showing the fuel pump is faulty - if so I guess this should be a simple job as it seems pretty accessable under the battery - any advice thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
Angus Sutherland

Basicaly : * CHECK THE BELTS * CHECK THE COMPRESSION IN THE PISTONS

First of all the whining you have described is almost always a belt that is to loose, basicly check the belts, especially if your fuel-pump is mechanical and is powered by a belt I'm not too familiar with the XJ-S to tell you for sure. (I'm on an '89 XJ-6) But as fars as the stalling goes I really hope that it is that your fuel pumps is on a belt and the belt is loose which mihght logically cause the problem you have described BUT if it is not the belts be sure you check the compression in all of the cylenders. Go to an auto parts store purchase the mesuring device ,the exact name escapes me sory, you simply unscrew a sparkplug and screw in the device and turn the engine (there should be instructions on the device)the compression in all of the pistons should be the same or at a specifice range. If your loosing compression you might need to get a new head, but on the bright side if you need to fix the head you will heave the perfect oportunity to change the piston rings and the bearing. Making your car run as good as new:)

Reply to
Ltonzair

Reply to
Angus Sutherland

When the filter gets (partially) blocked the pump noise can increase. I've had the same noise on my V12 Sovereign and XJS. After a few days the noise disappeared and the pump kept working.

If you do change the pump you must depressurise the system first. It's an easy job best done outside so the vapour escapes easily. Make sure the battery cables are well away from the terminals!!

Mark Buying or selling a Jaguar, go to

carman

Reply to
sharon.revell