K1500 -88, fueltank/pump/sending unit

Hi!

Have a Chevy K1500 -88 that has had some intermittent fuelpump problems over the last 6 months (has blown 3-4 fuses over the period). Now the truck died completely on me so I decided it was time to replace the pump (and possibly the sending unit if I can afford a new one, the fuel gauge has also been broken, shows 100% fuel all the time).

I have now dropped the fueltank and removed the pump/sending unit and when I look down into the tank I notice a plastic "bowl" floating around at the bottom.

I suppose the purpose of ehe "bowl" is to prevent fuel from splashing around in the tank.

I also assume that this "bowl" should be secured to the bottom of the tank somehow, the "bowl" has two holes and sticking up from the tankbottom are two "pins" that seems to fit the holes, though there mustve been something more holding it...

Question is, could it be this loose "bowl" that have caused the fuelpump and/or sending unit to break down? Is it any risk of it causing a new pump/sending unit to break down prematurely? Should I replace the whole tank as well??

Any ideas would be most appreciated!!

Thanks, Johan Olofsson Stockholm, Sweden.

Reply to
Johan Olofsson

"" wrote: > Hi! > > Have a Chevy K1500 -88 that has had some intermittent > fuelpump problems over the last 6 months (has blown 3-4 > fuses over the period). Now the truck died completely > on me so I decided it was time to replace the pump > (and possibly the sending unit if I can afford a new one, > the fuel gauge has also been broken, shows 100% fuel all > the time). > > I have now dropped the fueltank and removed the > pump/sending unit and when I look down into the tank > I notice a plastic "bowl" floating around at the bottom. > > I suppose the purpose of ehe "bowl" is to prevent fuel > from splashing around in the tank. > > I also assume that this "bowl" should be secured to the > bottom of the tank somehow, the "bowl" has two holes and > sticking up from the tankbottom are two "pins" that seems > to fit the holes, though there mustve been something more > holding it... > > Question is, could it be this loose "bowl" that have caused > the fuelpump and/or sending unit to break down? Is it any > risk of it causing a new pump/sending unit to break down > prematurely? Should I replace the whole tank as well?? > > Any ideas would be most appreciated!! > > Thanks, > Johan Olofsson > Stockholm, Sweden.

You can just put a couple of speed nuts on the tabs to hold it down (the old ones are likely still in tank) As fair as it cause pump failure I would say not likely. I suspect the blown fuses where wornings of it reaching the end of its life cycle. ALso keep tank at least 1/2 full most of the time because the fule also cools and lubs the pump and if you run it low a lot you can shorten pump life a good bit.

Reply to
SnoMan

[...]

The bowl keeps the gas from running away from the pump when your tank gets low on gas during turns ,stops and go?s.

I have found that in some cases where the wires run through the top of the sending unit they break (sounds odd but it has happened) inside of the molded plastic that seal the wires so gas doesn?t run around them.Might look at that while you have it out.

Reply to
Shakes73

"Johan Olofsson" skrev i meddelandet news:nYOIe.30861$ snipped-for-privacy@newsb.telia.net...

Thanks for your input, SnoMan and Shakes73!

Will get a new pump & sending unit, are currently treating the tank for rust, maybe it'll hold together a few more years :)

/johan

Reply to
Johan Olofsson

You may want to also replace the fuel pump relay. I just replaced my whole system (tank, sender, pump and all hoses) and everybody who I asked said once the pump starts to die it pulls more and more power until it fails completely. They said this can wear out the relay contacts quickly.

good luck, mark

Reply to
r_d

This is a commen problem on 88 to 95 Pick ups. That plastic "bowl" is the fuel tank baffle. Once it comes lose it floats. It not only blocks fuel to the pump (burning out the pump), it holds the sending units float out of the fuel. The only fix is to replace the fuel tank.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig