Loud, flapping noise whilst AC is on

1992 Vanden Plas.

Whilst the AC is on cold, there is a loud, rapid, flapping noise that seems to have its origin at the center AC vent.

If I turn the temperature control to maximum heat, the noise goes away. Whilst the motor is under acceleration, producing torque, (such as pulling from a dead stop, etc.) the noise goes away. However, just revving up the motor while in neutral does not make it go away.

I disconnected the vacuum line at the point where it enters the console beneath the battery and the noise disappears.

All this indicates a defective vacuum actuator somewhere under the dash.

If anyone has experienced this problem or can provide any tips on fixing it, I would greatly appreciate your sharing.

Cheers!

John

Reply to
JP

It may sound too simple, but I had the same problem, took me ages but it ended up being a leaf had gotten in near where the wipers are. Once out, the noise stopped. The heat seemed to stop it too.

Ken Australia

Reply to
Ken

Its Mrs. McGrice's piss flaps.

Reply to
THREE HOLES

Ron Ron Ron, uselessnet snapped you too?

Smoke a joint mate!

DieInterim

Reply to
Blake Dodson