Ok, so this is the cat. Shall I?

Finally I got some more details from the Cat I am thinking of buying.

XJ40, 6 cylinders, year 1990. Manual gearbox! 227.000km. Distribution chain (chain? good...) changed nearly 80.000km ago. Clutch is about 40.000km old. It looks ok. It rides (owner says) ok. It is not the most beautiful one..... but it's different, and I like it too.

Price is at 4.000 euros.

The problem, for the moment, is the insurance...... :-( I'm still searching for someone that asks me less than the cat's price.....

Any opinions? :-) Thanks......

--

-- Pyrus Malus [EChMotor#512]

Paris - France -

Reply to
Pyrus Malus [EChMotor#512]

Don't know your market, I'm in the US, but it sounds expensive to me.

4000 euros converts to $5,060 in US dollars, but an XJ40 in excellent condition with that mileage (but automatic) would be $3,000/$4000 here. Here's a web price guide for estimating U.S. prices:

WayneC

this sounds way too expensive,

in the UK you can a buy a 1993 the next model ( I thinks its X300) car with less mileage but full service history in spot on condition for £3000

I found a similar car to yours in the UK for £250 ( about Euro 400)

have a look yourself on

Avoid manual gearbox if you can, a Jag is about luxury and the manuals are a pain

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Wow, two answers and both saying the same.....

Way too expensive? Just parked on the street, in front of my house, a '93 Daimler 6cyl., 190.000km aprox. at 9.500 euros. And those are the prices I've found everywhere for a car in a good condition.

What if I find something in UK, r-h-d, and try to drive it in continental Europe? :-D

Thanks for your comments.

"Nick" escribió en el mensaje news:jHGZb.3170$ snipped-for-privacy@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk...

Reply to
Pyrus Malus [EChMotor#512]

Pyrus, Each market is different so it is difficult to determine the value. Two examples converted to euros and kilometers.

I paid 1500 Euros for my 1988 3 years ago with 241,000km on the clock My friend paid 1975 Euros 2 years ago for a 1990 with 200,000km on the clock.

Both these cars are in excellent shape and still running today. I have nearly 325,000km on the 1988 now and it is my wife's daily driver. Both of these XJ40s are automatic and both are in EXCELLENT shape both interior and exterior.

$4000 Euros would, in my opinion be top end for a 1990 in excellent shape, not the way you describe it. A 1993, is not an X300 model It is still the XJ40. The X300 did not appear until 1995 with the newer body style.

In terms of driving a RHD car in a LHD world. I do it every day and I find it fun and easy to do. I have a 60s Jaguar which is RHD which I drive around every day to work and to run errands. It is getting fairly well know about town. I have hesitated bringing in an XJ40 from the UK to do the same thing because of the MASSIVE cost to convert the car to US standards for emissions. Check the local regulations, but if you can do it, there is no reason you should not. The exception is that it is rather difficult to make left turns since you do not have a clear view. I would also think that to transverse rotaries/circles would be rather difficult. But I would assume travelers from the UK to Paris do it all the time.

Cheers Webserve

Reply to
Webserve

It would not be too hard seeing that Jaguars secondary market is LHD.

I imagine there are people out the who have converted RHD to LHD and vice versa.

Indeed I converted my RHD Cadillac Coupe De Ville to LHD with comparitive ease as I didn't know then but RHD converted yanks are worth half the conventional LHD.

So if you want to turn to LHD, find a breakers in the US or Spain and just buy the bits, you will always be able to sell the redundant pieces on eBay Uk or something.

Ian

Reply to
ancient one

Impressive. Have you had to do much work to them, & if so, what?

Reply to
Complete Charlie

That's the point: I don't want to do any work on the car. I have no time, no place... and no knowledge :-)

In any case..... I foound really cheap, really low the rates in Uk or the States, comparing to continental Europe, and specially France and Spain.

Reply to
Pyrus Malus [EChMotor#512]

I have one question now:

227.000km...... is that too much? A friend of mine, who used to have some classic cars (Matra Murena, Mercedes 190SL, Mercedes 500, Jaguar XJ III V12, Renault alpine...), told me that those could be too many km for that car. "Jaguar is delicate", that's what he said.

In any case, tomorrow (day-off for me) I'll be going to see some more cars in a dealer somebody recommended. I hope to have some answers there as well.

Reply to
Pyrus Malus [EChMotor#512]

The only thing I "had" to do upon buying the car was replace the steering rack, a cracked windshield and a dead accumulator. In addition, I replaced all the wheel bearings as well as the differential stub axle bearings, brakes, pads and a couple of ABS sensors. I did this because of silly warnings and because I refuse to let my family drive a car not knowing the past history. So I created my own past history by replacing those items. So I put an additional $600 (450 Euros) into the car. We have driven it nearly

40,000 miles (64000km) in three years. for a total of 190,000 miles (300,000km) on the clock.

My friend recharged the A/C and replaced two fuses and it worked great for about a year. Unfortunately, he put some "snake oil" stuff in the Petrol tank to "Clean and improve" the gas mileage. He spent close to $1500USD in cleaning the system and replacing parts that had clogged with sediment he dislodged from the tank. It DOES run better now, but it should-- the fuel system is all new now.

Webserve

Reply to
Webserve

Do you mean that the car worked great for a year, or the aircon did?

Sorry if this seems pedantic, but I'm currently dealing with a jag that has a) fuel sediment problems and b) no gas in the aircon.

Reply to
Complete Charlie

We had both these problems with the '91. We ended up pulling the tank and the fuel rail as well as pulling open ALL the lines and blowing them out. Replaced the pump as well as the filter and the pressure regulator. Cleaned and checked all the injectors as well

With the A/C we replaced the dryer and changed the system to 134A, recharged, replaced the fuse and off it went. It appears that one of the reasons the previous owner sold the car was that the "mechanic" she was dealing with told her to NEVER run the A/C in the winter. Thus she would refrain, not knowing that the system is supposed to operate a blend of A/C and heat all year round to keep the cabin at temperature. This also keeps the A/C operating at peak efficiency. Seems the "mechanic" didn't want her to run the A/C because he had evacuated the system so he could tell her every spring he needed to re-charge the system. She had the records to show a full recharge every spring. 2 years now and he has only had to top off the system a bit.

Webserve

Reply to
Webserve