Found an XJ40...... shall I?

I have found a nice XJ40 for sale at a very acceptable price.

The car is british, with british plates and right-hand-drive. But I live in Paris... Well, the car is in France as well, so I think the fact it was the steering wheel in the "wrong" side makes it cheaper than it should be.

It is a 1991 Sovereing, 4 ltr. 185.000km, new tyres, and as per advertising, it is "in perfect mechanical condition", with "no future expenses".

It is sold at 2.700 euros, plus all charges for french registry.

I like the car, but in fact I am in no way a mechanic, and I don't think of spending time working on it. I can afford the purchase, I can afford insurance, and I could afford fuel consumption as I have no needs but pleasure to drive the car. What I don't know is whether I could afford maintenance or not....

Tomorrow I will check with mi insurance company if they "allow" me to buy the car, and I think on Monday I will go where the car is to take a look at it.

I am a bit confused, and I don't know if I should buy the car or let it go and find another.... It seems too cheap, but... it looks (sounds) good.

So, shall I?

Thanks in advance.

-- P.M.

Reply to
Pyrus Malus [EChMotor#512]

Hi, "A cheap Jaguar will be an expensive Jaguar" If you like to sit on the wrong side driving and you think that you can sell it in the future to someone like you, or perhaps a Postman :) then go for it.

Pepe

PS Only the Postman has a "wrong" sided car i Sweden!

"Pyrus Malus [EChMotor#512]" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de...

Reply to
Pepe

PM, It is all a matter of perspective and market. Right now, I can buy my friends 1991 XJ40 for $2000USD which is ?1612. This XJ40 has been detailed, looks great and 230,000 km

Currently I own 3 Jaguars. I could not afford any of them if I did not do the work on them or shop for the best pricing on parts. The XJ40 is probably one of the best motorcars on the road -- but ONLY if you can do the work yourself or you can afford a mechanic to do it for you. I suggest that if you are on a limited budget -- you walk away from this car.

As for driving a Right Hand Drive car in a left hand drive world. 2 of my Jags are Right hand drive. One of them is my daily driver. I taught my 16 year old daughter how to drive with the RHD because she found it so much easier to drive in a Left Hand drive world.

For what it is worth

Cheers Webserve

Reply to
webserve

I suppose you will say you have a better overwiev also when you have to overtake some slow small creep! OR?

I think right hand drive car is OK in Japan, Down under, New Zeeland and England and some more uncivilised states.

Pepe

"webserve" skrev i meddelandet news:%oQHc.834$ snipped-for-privacy@fe39.usenetserver.com...

Reply to
Pepe

Well, the point is that I don't know how much should I expect to spend for servicing the car... I think I will firstly go and see it.

Oh my god..... :-D

Thanks for the answers.

By the way, Pepe... are you spanish? Eres español? (only a spaniard could type this Ñ I think... :-D)

Reply to
Pyrus Malus [EChMotor#512]

Spaniard or not... I drive a Jaguar XJ 40 -94 I know what it cost. If you can't do it your self. Oil change 8 litre each 5000km and +$10,00/litre.

I wish I was an 68 year old cleaning lady from the States who was winning the JackPot US$ 2 175 milj. Then I could sell my Jag and buy something less expensive! The last was a joke :)

Pepe "Pyrus Malus [EChMotor#512]" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de...

Reply to
Pepe

Then, Pepe, you could live in an advanced country like Australia where we drive right hand drive cars the way God meant cars to be driven! :-) GrahamL

Reply to
Graham L

It's OK as long as you drive on the "Wrong" side of the road :)

Pepe

"Graham L" skrev i meddelandet news:Tr_Hc.88284$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

Reply to
Pepe

Haha! Well, when you drive upside down it's the right way, isn't it? GrahamL

Reply to
Graham L

OK, I've just arrived from seeing the car. Last answer is NO. What a shame...

The car looks old, but nice. Obviously the last owners did not take care of it, so it's not at its best. Interior needs to be lightly restaured, but everything works. Outside just some cleaning and polishing. But...

I found a two centimeters wide rust hole on driver's door, inside, by the mirror... And... when I looked under the carpets, by passenger's seat there was some water, and most exciting: something that looked like sand, whith those little clear mini-stones easily found on beaches... wow... In the trunk, the carpet looked orange, so I took a look under it and all the floor seemed dump, and rusty.

That's not enough.... Even though the car rides smooth and nice, I think suspension needs to be done, but most important: after a 20 minutes ride, testing the power available, the engine was quite hot, even making the dashboard to be HOT. 10 minutes after stopping, it was still quite hot. I could see some oil leaking from the end of the engine, as well as some green fluid leaking from a box on the right frond side. The downside of the engine looked quite "oily" and dirty.

Well..... next time, I hope.

By the way, the other one he has for sale, a 3.6 Sovereign, looks really good on the interior, engine clean, all the dashboard seems to work (is the first one, whith electronic gauges, very "stylish"), but I could not drive it as "it has no petrol on it" as per owner, and had rear bumper unattached to the body (he said it was not the bumper but the "thing" attaching it.... I don't know).

I will keep on searching. This summer I will probably go to England, a visit to some relatives, so.... maybe there I will find a nice Cat. :-D

Thanks for the answers.

Reply to
Pyrus Malus [EChMotor#512]

Be happy and go to Germany instead and try to find a good Cat. Then you will have a car with the steering wheel on the right side and perhaps in a better condition. There are many good Jaguars in Germany go to this web site and do a search: