Regular gas

Is it ok to use regular fuel in a 2001 S Type 6...Thanks

Reply to
<kpara

There's a fellow that lurks here and on the Jag Forum who says he is/was an engineer with Jaguar. He states that the cars don't need premium, regardless of what the factory recommends in the literature and placards. That said, given the fact that on the Internet everyone is an expert at anything they want to be, I'll keep feeding my 96 VDP premium fuel.

Mick Jagger

See, anything or anyone you want to be.

Reply to
Jon A

I recommend that you use what Jaguar states you should use. This is not a matter of falling in line un-necessarily, but a matter of value. I look at it this way: 10 or 20 cents a gallon is a VERY inexpensive insurance policy that my Jags will still be running and hold their value years to come. With the Nikasil fiasco from high content sulpher in Jags, BMWs and Mercedes and warranty questions down the road -- who needs to take the chance? Besides, if using premium has kept my 1967 Jaguar on the road all these years with no engine problems -- there must be something to it!!

If you decide to use a lower grade petrol than listen carefully for "pinging" sounds when you accelerate. These sounds mean improper detonation of the fuel and you should move back up to grade as soon as you can. Continued pinging will eventually create engine problems.

Webserve

Reply to
webserve

I'd like to add an image to the pinging or "Pinking" topic.

This is what happens when you do one of two things (pic)

1.) Your plug heat range is too hot for high speed driving. 2.) You filled up with rot gut petrol and hit the Autobahn.

Now if you are Grandpa and putter around the flatlands rot gut is 'ok'. But if you climb hills and enjoy power, then rot gut will eventually duplicate your engine to the pic.

DieInterim

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Reply to