S-type ad following Super Bowl

Dont worry, from what you display/ed you are certainly untrainable.

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Well, Web, having lusted after and finally bought a '67 E-Type new when I was but a guitar pickin' lad (with my own earnings, I might add), then near on 20 years later becoming an exec with Jaguar Cars, Inc. in the States, then spending 11 years watching Ford throw the baby out with the bath water, I guess I don't know what the Hell I'm talking about, huh?

I'll simply leave it up to the marketplace to be the judge, where Ford's Jaguars are considered something of a cruel joke and after 16 years of buggering the marque, Ford has alienated the customers, the dealers and ain't made one pence in profit.

In the process of their wondrous "King Midas In Reverse" management wizardry, Ford have tanked the brands image in the eyes of the press and public, destroyed one of the most cohesive, dedicated workforces in the industry and turned a legion of devotees into absolute enemies. If that all adds up to success to you, let me know what you plan on investing in so I know to steer clear!

Reply to
SoK66

Spot on. Jaguar always had entry models with budget interiors. Where it lost its way was to become a 'one trick pony' with the various XJ series. Mind you, even they had entry-level models.

Fact is, Jaguars were never really up-market. They were always a bit flash and a bit on the cheap side. The bank manager drove a Rover; the bookmaker drove a Jaguar. My grandmother wouldn't have been seen dead in one.

Before the XK, Jaguar's didn't even make their own engines. They bought in crude side-valve units from Standard. In fact, the first SS cars were simply rebodied Standards. Tarted up for a bit of flash. You did, however, get a lot of car for your money.

Not particularly sporting, either, but then most Jaguars weren't.

Yep! And the latest XJ has a genuine right to be considered one of the best cars in the world. Mind you, why anyone should be unhappy that people who can't afford an XK or XJ should be able to buy an S or X-type I have never understood. Just plain, old-fashioned, mis-placed snobbishness is the only explanation which comes to mind. That and ignorance, of course.

Still, we really should ignore the trolls, you know. They are, after all, only here to wind us up.

David Betts ( snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk) The Classic Car Gallery:

830847103&n98038677

Reply to
David Betts

Actually, No I don't think you know what you are talking about. I think you fall under the expression " Can't see the forest for the trees!!" And actually, after going back and reading your past posts, I find it hard to believe that anyone who worked for Jaguar could be SO misinformed about the history of the line!! Even today you can buy XJ40s on Ebay-UK that have the standard cloth interiors, no sun roof and no A/C. And these were factory cars made BEFORE Ford took over. Maybe you washed cars at a Jag dealership somewhere!!

Webserve

Reply to
webserve

You should really piss off as you do noting here but call people trolls.

DieInterim

Reply to
Blake Dodson

I really wonder what made you snap, after all my post was not directed at you.

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Well, as a matter of fact, my first job in the car business was washing cars at the local Jaguar dealer while I was in high school. I got to know & love Mark X's, Mark IIs, XKs, E-Types, etc. with all their infuriating faults & warts.

Many people who love Jaguar have a negative opinion of Ford's idiotic mis-management of Jaguar. If you want to go of whistling the Company tune in blissful ignorance while Jaguar is being destroyed, go ahead. Call us "trolls" if you will, you seem to have an inability to face facts.

Jaguar has always enjoyed a more exclusive image in North America, the Middle East & other "ROW" markets than it has in the UK. Down-spec "executive" Jaguar XJs with cloth seats & 2.9/3.2 engines were never sold in North America as they would be virtually impossib;e to sell, much less at a profit, and they would harm the brands exclusive image. It's common knowledge they never made the Company any money in the UK market either.

As for your other charges re: my background with Jaguar Cars, I will gladly wager any amount of money you'd care to put up. You have a 100% chance of losing, Mr. Wise Guy.

Reply to
SoK66

I guess you and I just have a different perspective of what Jaguar is all about. Jaguar never was in the past nor is it now a top of the line auto manufacturer. As Sir William Lyons once put it, Jaguar is to be "the best of all worlds, offering grace, space and pace at a reasonable price". (This is from the Sir William Lyons biography). Jaguars of the past have been this. Since Ford has taken them over, Jaguar has continued to be this. We may differ in what the definition of grace, space and pace is exactly, but you will NEVER convince me that the XJR does not qualify under that banner. The reason for my reaction to your comments is that you have systematically put down every Jaguar made with the exception of the XKE. I retract my earlier comments to you. You were getting so disjointed that I thought you were bing ridiculous. Still, you continued to put down everything related to a marque I have driven since I was a college senior in

1973. And this coming from someone who purports to have spent a good part of his career working for Jaguar. If you are an example of pride in a job and a product, then I can see how Jaguar got to where it had to be bought out by Ford. Rarely have I "listened" to any one as bitter as you. I have grown to feel sorry for you. Have some pride in yourself. You may be looking back on your life with Jaguar and see a waste but I don't think you wasted your life!!

Webserve

Reply to
webserve

Reply to
SoK66

No, actually, I was referring to Bentley and Rolls-Royce (remember them?) Or do you think Jaguar is equal to or superior to those 2 marques?

It seems Jaguar has reached their goal!!

According to JD POWERS, Jaguar ranks number 2 in the top 5 for customer satisfaction again this year -- 4th year in a row. Mercedes is not even in the top 5 on the list any more!!!!

Results came out yesterday from IntelliChoice, Inc regarding the Used car market. For the 4th year in a row, Jaguar was the number one Luxury certified used car marque!! It was followed by Cadillac, Volvo, Lexus, Audi. Mercedes and BMW did not make the top 5 again this year.

So I guess we are all drinking the same kool-aid and can't see the "reality" that you see.

Reply to
webserve

Not the same market segment. By the way, both of them are now run by the Germans, who seem to have done a better job of rescuing them than Ford have done with Jaguar.

No they haven;'t, the goal is to be #1. We came in #2 in '98. They've since fallen as far as the bottom 1/3rd. Nice to see they've caught up to where we were 7 years ago.

market. For the 4th year in a row, Jaguar was the number one Luxury certified used car marque!! It was followed by Cadillac, Volvo, Lexus, Audi. Mercedes and BMW did not make the top 5 again this year.>

This is a measure of the certified used car programs in the USA. FYI, Jaguar Cars, Inc. pioneered certified used car programs for luxury marques in the '80's and has won this award several times. It's an area where Jaguar must excel because the cars have horrendous residual values and the dealers left to their own devices will simply wholesale the cars, making the situation even worse. I'm surprised BMW & MB even show on the list. Because their used vehicles are in great demand, and command premium prices, they provide litle if any market support for their used cars.

Reply to
SoK66