S-Type front end noise

Greetings:

> Also the Stabilization bar and it's links are likely to make some noise on > > rough roads. > >

I have a 2001 S-type with 30k miles displaying these symptoms. The stabilizer bar slaps the frame very harshly under just normal operating conditions, particularly in very cold weather.

I consider myself fortunate since my vehicle is leased (my first such experience) and is still under warranty (50,000 mi). At the termination, I expect to purchase the vehicle under favorable terms, although it has already depreciated by more than half.

I am unable to view the stabilizer bar bushings due to the plastic grill attached. I am reluctant to bother with dissasembling for viewing but would appreciate any pointers on what might be the problem so as to hold the dealer service dep't to correcting the problem on the first go-around.

Front suspension appears to be unnecessarily complicated predisposing it to an array of problems (very Jaguar), all of which entail potentially costly resolutions. I noticed that the protective plastic bearing dust caps over grease fitiings were removed and dicarded by the dealer on previous visits. It seems to me that this will unnecessarily create potentially serious long-term problems. Most Jaguars die an early death here in the US because any repair problem could be potentially terminal due to the costs. Depreciation is correspondingly severe. They are not a good investment, for sure, even though they are among the most attractive designs on the road.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I am considering leasing a new replacement at the end of the lease and selling the old one. I understand that significant suspension modifications have been implimented on newer models. I wonder if the improvements simplify what otherwise is reminiscent of hardware a patient with a broken neck might have attached to his skull to stabilize his situation.

I don't hear anyone raving about these cars even though I am quite happy with mine otherwise.

Regards,

John

Hi again > > > > Like you said the noise came from the front hub bearing. So it's probably > the bearing or the tyre that is making the noise. > > About the lifetime of the bearing, I know several are changed under > warranty. > > > > Best Regards > > "Vasilis Mavrogenis" skrev i en > meddelelse news:bfh99b$luk$ snipped-for-privacy@titan.btinternet.com... > > Thanks for the reply KawaPWR, > > > > I do not want to sound like a cynic, but the car has only > > done 30K miles so far, thus I will be really disapointed if the > > the hub baering is gone so quickly. I have a 10year old > > Peugeot 405 with 150k miles, and I still have not changed > > any of the bearings, and I have treatesd that car really badly > > compared to the Jag. > > > > Anycase thanks for the info. > > > > Vas > > > > > > A month ago I had to change the vertical link on the suspension on the > > > front > > > > passenger side and I am not if they changed the bearing also or they > > > > refitted > > > > the old. > > > > > > > > > > > > When the vertical link is changed, the bearing is re-used. But it's > pretty > > > simple to change if it's not stuck.. It's only attached with four bolts > to > > > the vertical link. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Has anyone had many problems with the suspension on the S-type but > > mainly > > > > with bearings and links. > > > > > > > > My car is a late 1999 model. > > > > > > > > > > > > It's not unlikely that the bearing is worn now for a 1999 model. > > > > > > > > > > > > Also the Stabilization bar and it's links are likely to make some noise > on > > > rough roads. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Reply to
Jack

"Jack" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Jack, I wish you all the best with that car. Most of the people I've spoken with that have owned the early S Types, had bad lemons. Some were even replaced by Jaguar. I still hear of on-going problems.

Ron

Reply to
Ron McGrice