X TYPE 3.0 Sports Engine Seized

Hi, My car is just four years old and has done 80,000 miles. The car has always been serviced by a Jaguar dealer and the next service is due in

1000 miles. Whilst driving the car last week, the oil indiactor flashed on the screen. I pulled over and switched the engine off and back on. The light was no longer present. At the next services (2.5 miles)i pulled over and checked the oil, i checked the oil level, this showed the oil to be low but not excessivley low, 1 put 1 litre of new oil. When i opened the oil cap the oil in the system look normal. Approximatlet 4.5 miles futher the engine started juddering and came to a stop. When the car was taken to the garage the engine had seized. On investigation the garage advised that the coolant had been dumped (temperature guage showed normal). The insureres are now questioning if the car had been run with no oil? or if the coolant had been purged through a split hose.

HAVE ANY OTHER PEOPLE HAD SIMILAR PROBLEMS??

THANKS

Reply to
fogarty

Wow. Just wow.

the sound of the death throws, it sounds like lubrication not coolant.

The only thing that I can think of is a catastrophic failure of your oil sytem. The crank shaft engine is not passively lubricated by dipping into the crank case oil. The crank case bearings are positively lubricated by pressure from the oil pump moving through channels in the block to the bearings. Failure of that positive pressure from an oil pump failure will lead to oil startvation of the bearings. The light coming on would also be due to a lack of pressure in the system from the pump.

There are a couple of things that could have done this. The oil pump could have failed. It is also possible that, if there are plugs in the crank oil galleries (which I don't know since I have never had to dig into one of these engines this far), that one or more of those plugs backed itself out of the crank spilling oil from the system and oil starving the bearings.

I would have a mechanic check the crank bearings, which will almost certainly be destroyed, and check the pump and the crank assembly plugs, or any possible O rings in that system, to see if they are all in place. Other than that, I really can't think what else it could be.

Wow, I am so sorry for you. That is just a terrible thing to have happen. Best of luck with it.

Reply to
Hazey

Old Jag 4.2 xj engines had a habit of when the head gasket blew, the temp gauge would momentarily go up then revert to normal. It was v.easy to miss this warning, the next warning would be that the oil pressure would disappear due to overheating.

Reply to
old man