1986 amc 360 in 1990 Wrangler

Ok here it goes. I wanted to stay AMC, so i put an AMC 360 in my 1990 Wrangler. However, its seems that the 360 is a bit slugish at takeoff. Everything on 360 new or rebuilt. Here's the setup: upgraded ignition using Ford 460 cap, rotor etc. including changing oil coil to TFI, havent added the springs in the mechanical advance yet. Planning to do so. Running a 600 cfm Holley 4160, performer eldebrock intake, summit cam(cant remember which one, right now, sure its a low end cam, nice lope though). The problem seems to be that it doesnt seem to have the zip at takeoff, kinda boggs till the rpms come up, then she starts to come alive. Ive tried resetting timing, anywhere from 8 to 12 degrees, not much if any change. Vac. at carb is about 10 goes up to

25 when motor goosed. I did notice that once I connect the vac. hose back up from carb to distributer, timing goes up to about 15 to 19 degrees. Im looking for suggestions on how to get a little zip at bottom. Only running 31's, stock driveline, 727 tranny w/np231 transfer case, nothing she shouldnt be able to spin over on dry pavement, but wont......not looking to burn rubber, thats not a Jeep thing for me, but would like the bottom zip....Thanks in advance for any helpful hints.
Reply to
mabdjb

That engine was never really a powerhouse... Rated Horsepower 144 @ 3200 rpm Torque 280 @ 1500 rpm with low compression.

What gear ratio? What is your cam duration?

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

I don't understand about the springs in the mechanical advance. Do you have no springs in there now, or are you planning to upgrade them and haven't done it yet? Why do you feel that you need to disconnect the vacuum advance hose?

Imho, low end torque from this engine comes from cubic inches, not a 600 cfm carburetor and performer intake. It is possible that that carburetor is killing your bottom end. There is a give and take game going on here, and if you really want low speed response you might have to sacrifice top end...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I had a1978 Cherokee with 31's and I did up the 360. I kept the original intake and carb but upgraded everything internaly. It had plenty of power. It would chirp the tires shifting from 2nd to 3rd even. I was only 17 then and I had a shop do the rebuild, plus it was my first Jeep so I was just learning things then, so I couldn't tell you what was different from yours. I had the 360 with T-18, Dana 20, And Dana 44's. I loved that truck...........

Reply to
Johnathan Marrin

I have an AMC 360 on my 1981 CJ-7. I upgraded it with an Edelbrock Perfomer Manifold, Intake and Cam. I also have the D.U.I. distributor that replaces your coil ignition module, etc. It's REALLY strong from takeoff up till 4000+ RPMs... So I would definitely check what's going on with yours.

- Pablo

Reply to
Pablo Riofrío G.

Oh yea I really believe in keeping it amc.......you want to know what makes me wonder....and I will check look how great the red/white/blue AMX ran with 360 and 390.....Ill have to check the specs on those motors....maybe pick up a point or two....I think part of the problem is gear ratio...I think the rear end may be

3.07.....cause once she gets past about 1500 she comes alive. In 4 low it feels like she wants to jump off the ground....at least pull the front tires off about 6 inches or so........I guess Im just looking for the best of both worlds....dont know if Ill find it......but give a hell of a try..
Reply to
mabdjb

Net/Gross HP ratings changed in 1972....

1970-71, 245 hp @ 4400 rpm, 365 ft/lb @ 2400 rpm, 2V, 8.5:1 1970-71, 290 hp @ 4800 rpm, 395 ft/lb @ 3200 rpm, 4V, 10.0:1

Cherokee-LTD

When your diffs break unexpectedly, this was the reason ! (I did that when I was a teenager - they lasted another month and then broke when I did a normal turn in traffic)

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

Reply to
Dave Milne

Ok well....looks like it could be in the carburetor...........holley

4160 am starting to adjust the secondary screw on the bottom plate....let a little air in from secondary butterflys..cuts the vacuum down........to zero at idle now all I have to do is tweak a little more......gas air mix n advance............so its getting better but not quite there.......just a hair away......thanks for everyones advice..............Mike
Reply to
mabdjb