1996 Cherokee Questions.

Hi,

As you were so helpful with my last questions I was hoping that someone could shed some light on two further problems I have found withg my Jeep.

1) The airvents that blow warm or cold air into the cab seem to close at 3000 revs and above for some bizarre reason. Also when I switch it on to hot it just comes through as slightly warm.

2) The engine temperature gauge shows that the engine is running at just above 40 degrees - surely it should be higher?

Any help gratefully received.

Jay

Reply to
Jay

You are describing a vacuum leak. The main fitting for the heater comes off the manifold at the back. I would start looking there for a cracked fitting or line. The temp controller also works on vacuum, no vacuum = cold air.

The lines also run up to a vacuum reservoir that is under the front bumper I think.

Mike

Mike Romain

OK - I can't find it. I was dumb enough to forget to tell you which engine it was - it's the 2.5 petrol.

Reply to
Jay

In the newer US models it is located on the passenger side behind the bumper, underneath the headlight, next to the horn and you have to remove the bumper end cap to access the vacuum chamber.

Yours may be there also although that would make it the driver's side. I will profess ignorance on the configuration of right hand drive vehicles....

Reply to
billy ray

We don't see many of those over here. I would think the controls would still be the same, but I am unsure of where the main vacuum line for it is. On the ones I am familiar with the vacuum line goes through the firewall near the center. I would start there I guess.

It could be any vacuum line or fitting that has the leak. Some places have a smoke generator they feed into the intake to fill the vacuum lines up to find the leak.

Even a leak at the intake manifold or throttle body can be the cause. You might try carefully spraying WD40 or carb cleaner along the manifold gasket with the engine running to test that. If it leaks, the engine will stumble when you spray it.

Mike

Jay wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain