New to Chevys

Hi,

In 26 years of driving I've always been a Ford man with an occasional Chrysler product tossed in here and there. I recently rolled my Ford Ranger in the middle of MO. (

) While looking at a Dodge dakota the other day I was about to leave when I saw a 2001 Medium Charcoal Gray Chevy K1500 Silverado LS, 4WD, automatic trans, 4.8L Vortec engine, 8000 LB towing capacity, extended cab, 4 door (the extended cab doors open), and composite box, with bed liner and nice color matched cap. For cheap.

My brother in law has a '98 K1500 with the Z1 package and only 73,000 miles. I asked him his likes and dislikes. His complaints were: DexCool causing leaks and damaging head gaskets, rough, noisy shifting in and out of

4WD, and the 5500 LB towing capacity.

Will the truck I'm looking at, being 3 years newer and with a different engine, also have these problems? Anything I should watch for besides the normal/obvious? I'm especially concerned about the Dex Cool as I'm used to the green stuff, not the orange.

Thanks Jay

Reply to
Jay

You can use green stuff AFAIK. If you keep it fresh too, it will be allot happier. The 4.3 has intake gasket problems - period. There are updated gaskets, so if it's already had it done that's good. It may still be under warranty(just)? The 4.3L is a good engine otherwise, except in full-sized trucks. GM makes spectacular vehicles, especially trucks, but this isn't a good combination. Buy one with either a 305 or a 350 (there was like 10HP difference at that point). Or if it's got the "new engines" (I don't think so) the 4.8L or the

5.3L are good choices. Not much difference between any of those four sizes, they all haul just fine. Also, just DON'T get a push-button 4x4 system. They work exactly as they are designed, which is to look pretty and put a "4x4" sticker on the side of the truck. Get one with a floor shifter.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Inline....................

NO! Not unless he gets ALL of the old Dex out. And I mean ALL. This means draining the radiator via the petcock AND pulling the block drains, then filling with water, and repeating this cycle till it comes out clear. Then the water can be drained and the green stuff put back in.

It's the 4.8L.

Not available in 2001. Just 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0

Nothing wrong with them. Just a matter of personal taste.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Jay,

Dex will mess the works up IF, and ONLY IF:

1) It's more than 50K miles old 2) Rad cap isn't working correct allowing air into the system 3) Rad isn't full due to #2 or empty reservoir. 4) Tap water is used to fill the rad (you must use distilled water).

That being said, if you use distilled water and change rad cap + coolant every 50K you won't have any problems. The Dex doesn't "eat the head gaskets." These trucks do not have any head gasket problems. The 98's and older Vortec's (5.0 and 5.7) did have intake manifold gasket problems, but this was a faulty gasket design and not the fault of Dex. The newer motors (4.8, 5.3 and 6.0) do not have this problem.

Yours might be a piston slapper, but Ford and Toyota have just the same issues with their newer motors as well. Do a google search and read up.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I'd have to disagree with you. Although some people have had a lot of problems with their 4 x 4 switch or encoders etc. my 1999 K1500 goes in and out of 4 wheel drive faster and smoother than a manual shift does. I've never had any problems with mine at all.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

So yes, you CAN USE IT. That's all I was saying.

Duh. Now I feel like a re-re....

Hmm, what year did that start? Because if I come to think about it my friend has a 98 with the 4.8L.

Ya, the encoder motor dies, etc. No motor if you use yer arm. IIRC the electronic T-case also uses clutch packs like an auto tranny, while the stick shift is either an all-gear or gear/chain transfer case.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

You COULD use urine and diarrhea in the rad as well. Would it work? No.

And so you should..........................he he he.

Well your memory is failing dude. IIRC it was 2000 that they started the new motors. Your buddy might have a 98' with the 4.3, but the 4.8 hadn't been born yet.

Haven't heard of the encoder motor dying on these newer trucks..................the switch can puke, but $60 later and you're good to go.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Actually, we got the new engines with the new body styles...1999 H

Reply to
Hairy

Depends on which body style you got in 1999. Mine is an early (looks like a

1998) and considered a K1500 so it has the 5.7 liter motor. The late 1999 trucks (new body style) were all Silverado's and came with the new 4.8 liter and 5.3 liter motors.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

It doesn't "depend" on anything. The new engines came out in 1999 with the new body style. H

Reply to
Hairy

Blah Blah Blah

Reply to
el Diablo

I had a 2000 S-10 ZR2 that needed the encoder motor replaced twice durring my 3 year lease. Not a big deal since it was under warranty. I've got a

1997 S-Blazer that also has the pushbutton system. It shifts into 4-hi just fine, but it doesn't like to come back to 2-hi. I just keep pushing the button and eventually it goes. Some day, when I have some extra cash, I'll get it looked at.

So far, I'm not impressed with the pushbutton system. My K1500 has the floor shifter and that works every time.

-NW

Reply to
NetWeasel

And the 5.0 and 5.7 were no longer available the year after, which was 2000. The question was when the 5.0 and 5.7 were no longer available.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Thanks for all the advice. I bought the truck. Picked it up with fuel guage on E and service display window saying "Low Fuel". Filled it up with 25 gallons. Still stayed on E with "Low Fuel" showing. Drove it home 92 miles away. After burning off some gas, message went off and guage went to full. Intermittant. Now with half tank, when the needle drops if I hit a bump or bounce in the seat it goes normal and "Low Fuel" indicator goes out. I suspect the sending unit. Not looking forward to dropping the tank.

More serious issue: 92 miles to my house, all expressway except the last 2 miles. Got off the expressway and the oil pressure guage dropped to zero and display said "Low Oil Pressure". Not wanting to wait to see if it was another guage malfunction I instantly pulled off the road and shut it off. Started it back up, "Low Oil Pressure" message still on, guage still at zero and top end just starting to chatter. That verified the no oil pressure. Quickly shut it off. No bearing squeal, lifter noise just starting, and zero reading made me think oil pump went. Left it there about 2 hours and called towing company. Went there to meet them and tried starting again. Started right up, guage went up to normal, warning message went out and top end noise went away. 100 more miles and no problem. Oil pump is mechanical and can't fail then work fine again, right? I doubt these are related but worth mentioning: Was about one quart overfilled with oil, and discovered I drove all that way with front diff in neutral instead of

2 wheel high. All other guages read normal. I'm baffled and don't feel I can trust it.

Thanks,

Jay

Reply to
Jay

Sorry to read about the troubles. Hope my 2004 Silverado isn't as troublesome as the MANY horror stories I've read the past few months.

Don't think I'll ever buy a GMC product again.

Reply to
Obbop

Ya know, the only thing you're going to READ about is the negative stuff.

90% of the posts on this ng are troubleshooting-related, and most people who take the time to actually write something down and post it on the internet have something to bitch about. So, if you're using the internet and usenet to gauge the reliability of GM products, you're only getting one side of the story.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Jay,

Hopefully you got at least a 30-day warranty? Take it back and DEMAND they fix whatever the hell is wrong or demand a full refund.

WRT the fuel gauge, Chevy gauges have always been a little scitzo, but have them fix it if you have a warranty. If no warranty, give it another tankful before you go dropping the tank. Running it down that low can bugger up the sender/float and at times another refill solves the problem.

The oil pressure issue is quite odd. What is the OP when you first start it up cold (in park, at idle), and what is the OP when it's hot, at idle in park?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

The only time I have seen this in the past was a partially plugged oil pump pickup screen. After the car was driven a short distance the screen would plug completely and no oil flow to the pump. After it sat awhile apparently the gunk on the pick up screen would drop off and when started would have oil pressure for a short while until it plugged again.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

That's exactly what I was thinking, hence the questions as to OP levels prior to the problem.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Nope, no warranty. Sold as-is. I gave the truck a pretty spirited test drive and it drove out fine. No leaks, no funny noises, smooth, strong and quiet. I honestly don't think they could have known about this wierd little problem. It was from a little B lot and they only had it two days before I bought it (checked it with Carcheck.com). They didn't even detail it out, just an oil/filter change and a quick wash.

I suspected that too and will reserve judgement until after a couple of tanks. Guages are a little wonky. Voltage reads 15 1/2 volts, but my VOM shows 14.3 @ warm idle, all electrics off.

According to the guage, about 50 PSI at idle in park, cold or warm. Peaks at 70 PSI at and above 3000 RPM parked or driving. I meant to mention that in my first post. What's it supposed to be for this engine? Have put about another 70 miles on it on freeway and around town and have had no further problem. As I stated, it was about a quart over filled. I drained and refilled to the proper level. Brainstorming with some friends, someone tossed out cavitation as a possible culprit caused by too much oil, high freeway RPMs, then sudden stop and slow (25 MPH) driving. Of course there's no solid theory, experience, or evidence behind this, just a wild as* guess. But we based it on our assumption that a mechanical oil pump either works or doesn't work. Is that assumption correct?

Thanks, Jay

BTW, this doesn't make me think that all GMs have "horror stories". I've had those with any brand mechanical device.

Reply to
Jay