2.5L backfires

The 2.5L in my 89 YJ has been backfiring for a while. When cold, it idles smooth and runs fine. When hot the idle can drop as low as about 5-600rpms, but sometimes is smooth. Sometimes it will backfire on deceleration. This is only usually if you downshift to slow down. The backfiring is pretty bad, sounds like a gunshot. There is a hesitation off idle. Typically, the rpms will drop before rising when I press the gas pedal. This is all pretty much when the engine is warm. It's not over heating. I used to smell gas fumes when it was cold. Lastly, the tail pipe is pretty black on the inside.

Where do I even start?

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Sounds like it is runninig too rich. You are gettiing too much fuel, not enough air. Turn in the adjustment screws 1/4 - 1/2 a turn and see if it runs better. Is the air filter in good shape?

Reply to
Rusted

Air filter is new, new plugs, distrib. cap, rotator, cleaned the throttle body. I thought the mixture was computer controlled, as this is a fuel injected vehicle. Is there an adjustment?

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Bill,

The two classic causes of backfire on deceleration are exhaust leak, and idle mixture too lean. Hot idle dropping to 5-600 rpm, makes me think the idle mixture could be too lean.

Carl, if you cannot find an exhaust leak, clean the throttle body, check the operation of the Idle Speed Adjustment motor, replace the fuel filter (probably needs it anyway), and check for vacuum leaks.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
attnews

Change the timing chain lately? My Chevy was 3 teeth off when I finally changed it at 160K. You can't compensate for that with timing.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

If the EGR valve is getting sticky with carbon, it will cause that.

Mike

Carl Saiyed wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain