2005 Grand Cherokee heater fan control failure

On my 2005 (of course out of warranty) Grand Cherokee, I'm experiencing intermittent failure of the HVAC fan low speed circuit and, it appears the HVAC compressor clutch activation. It won't work for a while, then, it "heals" itself.

I see in the owners' manual that there are 2 relays and 1 fuse associated with HVAC controls, I'm betting on one of the relays......would this indicate an overload of some kind?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Don

Reply to
Don Pritchett

Hi Don, Yup, it's been the relay on the ones I've played with. I don't remember two, the other must be a heat sensor. It sure boils over instantly doesn't it? God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Yes, apparently I didn't read the subject line. Thanks. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Hi Don, Air-conditioning compressor normally cycles off and on. There are both a high pressure and low pressure safety switches that are designed to save the pump if one happens. You may be low on Refrigerant R134a, that may be checked with a gauge:

The lowside should read a little higher than R12. This real should be done by alicensed tech. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
philthy

The compressor clutch will disengage if the system is under or over pressure. Check the electrical connectors on the pump (high side limit) and the accumulator (low side limit) and make sure they are clean.

Reply to
DougW