'86 Jeep CJ7 - need help

I have a 1986 Jeep CJ7 which I recently put a rebuilt engine into. Just today, there's a new problem that's got me stumped. The two rear tires have a greasy oily substance that is literally sprayed all over them (inner tires and inside the wheel wells). I've been underneath and don't see any leaks - this obviously happened while driving. There's a ton of oil. What is the most weird is that it's on BOTH sides - both rear inner tires & wheel wells. Brake fluid is full and looks fine, no drips underneath the jeep. I did hear a semi loud clunk when driving this morning just as I got going and was turning sharply out of the driveway. No leaks up front.

Any ideas?

Reply to
mh51867

Is it heavy and stinky enough to be gear lube?

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Not thick enough to be lube - that's for certain. Definitely oily and thin. I'll check all seals & cups - just very strange in my opinion for both tires (both sides in other words) to have this stuff sprayed all over them.

Thanks for the input - keep it coming if this issue sounds like something you know of.

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
mh51867

and by the way - thanks for taking the time to post the links - very helpful - I appreciate it!!!

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
mh51867

Usually that means you have filled the rear pumpkin with water. The gear oil floats on top and presses at the back of the seals so it leaks out and gets spun away by the tires. Your brake shoes are now likely garbage too.

Is the high water vent on the rear axle clear and hooked up? Have you crossed any water lately?

It is time to check the rear end fluid anyway. If it pours out the hole, then you have water likely. The water raises the oil level. If it looks like a purple milkshake, you have water for sure.

Mike

Mike Romain