evil rust

Hi

We have had our open classic for 3 years now and i consider that despite it being stored and used in all weathers i am a good owner. I keep it clean and every summer clean and re waxoyl the underneath.

Even so the sills are showing some heavy surface rust and it needs new wing and A panel on the passenger side (not great holes but unsightly blistering).

Fitting them and welding isn't a problem but whats the best paint/ treatment to keep rust at bay. I am surprised how it has deteriorated.

thanks in advance

Gary

Reply to
geepeetee

Hi, I bought a bran new Mini7 in March 2002, as soon as i got it home hamerited the whole underside, including painting front and rear chassis, emptied the boot and sprayed litres of waxoyle over that area, then did the same to the rear sub, didnt bother with the front sub because i figured that later oil leaks would keep that rust free, which it did and has, but every year now, I use a wire brush and a rag to wipe the sills, then apply two coats of hammerite to the sill flange deep upto the exhaust tunnel from the wing/front panel flange all the way to the rear valance wheel arch. This has kept the rust at bay, with only minor bubbles appearing, sometimes i use semi-structural car body sealer, a paint on rubber to repair and chips that have occure to the factory applied stuff. I always oil the door hinges with 20/50 grade, this builds up in the bottom of the a panel protecting that area, as well as applying wxoyle to the inner a panel, hinge panel, seatbelt anchorage buckets and under the carpets. I have also had to hammerite the closing edge of the bonnet as that had become scabby, so do that every year now aswell, also regularly steam clean the whole car. Recently have removed the rover wheel arches revealing loads of solid mud that had built up, and replaced the wheel arches with direct replacement fibreglass ones using the same predrilled rover holes, these new arches are open and dont accumulate any mud, I have also waxoyled underneath this area to keep the rust from attaking the rivet holes. Phew, and in this heat aswell!

Jono

"geepeetee" wrote in message news:dddnbi$f2g$ snipped-for-privacy@inews.gazeta.pl...

Reply to
Barspeed and his magical Mini

You know when you have put to much waxoil on it, it starts dripping off in the hot weather, leaving small pools dripping from the drain holes.

Reply to
Steve68s

You should have seen the state of my drive after I sprayed the underside of my 77 mk2 escort with oil, its seems to be keeping the rust at bay though.

I rebuilt my mini 3 years ago and Ive got rust coming through in quite a few places. Annoying some of the places are in the middle of panels that were new and never seen any weather before being painted on both sides?

guess thats patten parts for you

-anthony

Reply to
Anthony