90 XJ Backup light switch - Adjust or replace?

Nope Bill, I don't see it that way at all.

I believe his 1990 shift linkage bushings are slightly worn so a very slight adjustment on the switch is all he needs. Literally a 5 minute fix.

His switch works fine, he just has to hold it slightly out of the reverse détente up top for the tranny end to flick the switch all the way.

I also think the bushing on the shift linkage at the bottom of the steering column is the one sloppy. Just a wild assed guess. ;-)

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

That could very well be, but he just needs to pass cert for now.

I would do the 5 minute fix and then see what next year brings....

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

All,

Thanks for the advice on the NSS/Backup light issue. I finally got the car back, uninspected, aafter I told the Jeep dealer to stop what they were doing and go no further. The NSS that they were going to charge me nearly $500 p/l for, I fixed myself in 30 seconds. Crawled under with a 12mm wrench, loosened the adjusting nut, pivoted the unit about 3 degrees, tightened the bolt, and Voila! Works perfectly. Not only am I taking it back tomorrow for inspection, I am going to demand a refund on the diagnostic fees for this "repair". Then I am going to file a complaint with D/C.

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Actually, it doesn't - and now it starts in neutral which it didn't before! It works perfectly!

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III