97 TJ Overheating (manual trans)

When I drive in the city, the temp stays near 210F (midway, where it's supposed to be).

However, highway driving (sustained 75mph) causes the temp to rise to the point where I can't drive for more than 10 mins.

Dunno if this is a cooling problem or something awry with the fuel/air mixture.

Also, I've noticed that Jeep water pumps only seem to last 90K miles, and I'm close to 260K miles now. So I'm wondering if it's simply that it's time to replace the pump. And if that's the case, then would a FlowKooler high flow pump be any better than a stock pump? Even if not, I hope that it atleast lasts longer.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
mrbogus

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

What generally wears out first in an automotive water pump is the seal, followed closely by the bearing. Sometimes, the bearing goes first. I don't see how a FlowKooler high flow pump would help, unless they use superior seals and bearings. What does their advertising say in this regard? You should also suspect your fan clutch. When the engine is hot, shut it off, open the hood, and see if the fan spins freely. If so, there is your problem.

Water pumps don't usually show failure by poor performance, except in the case where the impeller has been corroded. Possible, but unlikely unless you have been pouring poor quality water into the system. I know you wouldn't do that. ;^)

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton