A/C problem 96 GC

My son's 96 Grand Cherokee is stuck with the A/C in the "hi-lo" mode. Dash controls have no effect. I assume there is a vacuum actuator(s) which operates a damper(s) buried in the dash. How hard is it to gain access? Any web sites that show how? His Chilton manual is useless on this problem. Thanks...Jim

Reply to
Jim Z

Digital climate control or knobs?

If it's digital then you have a motor/fuse/connector problem If it's vac operated then put it in defrost, start the engine then give it some gas. If the air moves from vent to vent then your problem is a vac leak.

A bit of dropped insulation can also do that. Thing is getting at the plenum is very difficult.

The hose can also fall off the actuator. You have to be a contortionist to get at it. The duct door is just inboard of where the coil is and the actuator is by the hump. At least on the 93ZJ it is. Your looking for a hockypuck sized doodad with a hose going to it. Can't remember if that was the one you had to reach behind and above to get to....

My first suggestion is get the factory service manual. But even it doesn't go over all the bits and parts.

Reply to
DougW