Axle Ratio Change '04 TJ

I got my "build sheet" from Jeep and I have a 3.07 axle ratio and an Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle. This is in a 6cyl Wrangler with no lift and 225 75-16 tires. I'd like to have a 3.73 axle ratio so I could use 5th gear for something more than flat highway driving. Do I need to do anything more than change the differential (front and rear) gearing? And if anyone has had this done what am I looking at for price?

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

Like re-calibrate the speedometer and computer (if it is an automatic the TCM perhaps as well, I know yours isn't but for others searching later...)?

Reply to
PeterD

You want to be able to use overdrive in the city or something? That will 'really' kill your gas mileage.

I have 3.31's and 33's so I only use the regular gears, I don't use overdrive. I do still have pull in 5th at 65 mph, but my rpm are too low at 1750 which lugs the engine.

If I forget about 5th, I cruise at 2300 rpm at 65 which gets me 5 mpg 'better' than with OD.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > I got my "build sheet" from Jeep and I have a 3.07 axle ratio and an
Reply to
Mike Romain

I would put 4.11/4.10 gears in it. Because of the tooth count and gear size, the front comes out slightly different from the back. Now your fifth is like your fourth used to be, and you have a better first and low range for off road. I have driven a four cylinder Wrangler with 4.11/4.10 gears in it for fourteen years, and I am well satisfied. Now granted this is a different engine, more rev-friendly than the six. Still your comments about fifth are spot on. I forget about it unless I have a tail wind or a long downgrade.

Frank, you don't really "need" this upgrade, but there are lots of things we have, that we don't need. I would consider test driving a vehicle with the desired combination, before spending a lot of money on gears, carriers and labor.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Good point! Actually several. From what you say it sounds expensive (more than $1K?) and I don't "need" it. I can run it up to 70mph in 4th. I'll just add it to my list of things to look for on my next Jeep :-) Thanks all for the reality check.

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

My 04 TJ Sahara 5 speed came with 3.73 gearing 30x9.5-15 tires no issues on or off the road. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Reply to
RoyJ