Best Year for Grand Cherokee 99 to 03 ?

Hey All, I am planning to purchase a used Grand Cherokee ltd, anyone have a thought on which is the best Year? I'm mostly interested in reliabilty issues.I've noticed 3 or 4 different V8's thru those Years any thoughts on the best one? Your comments will be appreciated. Thanks

J Kennedy

90 XJ ltd
Reply to
JRK58

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
attnews

I have an 01 GC ltd. The 4.7 liter engine mated with a five speed automatic gives you a smooth ride, good economy (about as good as my Cherokee with a straight six). The air conditioner runs a lot quieter on the v8.

The issue so far has been the rotor/caliper that Bill mentions. It is not covered under warranty and cost me $250 for the front brakes while I was on a trip.

For my money, I always thought the 98 GC was a vintage year. But they are getting a little old now.

A few things that I was disappointed with on my 01 is for money, DC's quality control needs a lot of fine tuning. Some particles dried in the paint. Body moulding, such as the external lettering is badly peeling and the silver coloring is wearing off exposing the black coloring under surface. Aluminum rims corroding. Tire replacement at around 30,000 miles cost me over $700. Not a big deal, but also not something you would expect from a vehicle carrying a $39,000 sticker price.

However, I got mine with as demo with 6,000 miles and some hale damage for about $27,000 in 2001.

I did get the chrysler extended warranty for another $1,000, with a

7/100000 and have made use of it to replace the rear axle seals on both sides.

Larry

Reply to
larry

Thanks all for your replys.

Reply to
JRK58

attnews proclaimed:

The 93-98 were all ZJ's on this side of the pond.

The 4.0 is a fuel injected variant of the old AMC 6, not overly flashy but tougher than a 50 year old rooster. The V8's tend to be rather popular, the 5.2 has pretty good performance due to power to weight and the 5.9 V8 in the final year was faster to 30 than the Hemi and not that much slower to 60 than the current Hemi.

Previous owner care is critical. Have a knowledgeable jeep mechanic pop it into the air and see how well the engine, transfer case, transmission, and axles have been maintained. Heavy use isn't a big deal, just neglect.

Reply to
Lon