The rise and rise of diesel

Yesterday's review in the UK Sunday Times of a diesel vehicle gives a good perspective on the popularity of diesel engines cars in Europe.

Overlook the fact that the car reviewed is a Jaguar (and the journalist doesn't like the shape) -- focus on the comments on the engine. This article is written in Britain, where there is no fuel-price advantage vis-a-vis petrol.

Chief rivals are, of course, Merc and BMW. See the comment on the BMW (530d): "formidably better, in almost every way, than petrol version"

North American (sceptical) readers take note...

For those who are interested and have trouble following the link I have pasted the whole article below my signature.

DAS

June 13, 2004

Jaguar S-type by Andrew Frankel of The Sunday Times It's a beauty - if you close your eyes

Do you know someone whose natural talents are being held back by an outside force beyond their control? A bright, vivacious person full of good ideas, destined never to be properly appreciated because of something intangible that restrains them? If that person were a car manufacturer, it would be Jaguar. Having spent their recent past selling under-engineered cars on the strength that they were beautiful, they've now managed to turn the tables. Today's Jaguars are impressively engineered, more reliable than Mercedes cars, and usually pretty good to drive. Yet all, save the aged XK coupé, are to some extent held back by their appearance.

It's not that they're ugly, merely that they're inappropriate to Jaguar's 21st-century aspirations and likely to lose potential sales in exactly the same way that GQ magazine would if sold with Country Life's front cover. The X-type and S-type saloons look odd and old respectively, while the technologically groundbreaking and otherwise convincing XJ looks designed to appeal to those with ambitions no greater than mounting a bloodless coup for the chair of the local golf club.

It may look old, but in fact the car in the picture is the brand new V6 diesel model. By S-type standards it's sure to sell by the barrowload, but you can say as much about any diesel executive relative to its petrol siblings, so significant are the extra travelling range, fuel economy and reduced tax burden these cars afford. But is that enough to place the newest S-type on the shopping list of those who have hitherto thought of BMW, Mercedes and Audi as the only serious players of the executive game?

This is the best engine yet to find its way into an S-type; indeed, if fitness for purpose is your guide, I will argue that it's the best engine to be used by any Jaguar since the V12 of the E-type in 1971 (and possibly the classic twin-cam six first seen under the bonnet of the XK120 in 1948).

This twin-turbo diesel V6 develops 206bhp and a thumping 320 lb ft of torque at under 2000rpm, and offers highly competitive economy and emissions. In these regards it compares well with the best engines offered by its rivals, but where it exceeds even their lofty standards is in its refinement. Even the best diesel engines become distinctly vocal in the upper reaches of their rev ranges . . . but not this one. Although I haven't tried them side by side, I doubt that even Audi 's 4 litre V8 diesel in the A8 could beat the Jag motor's eerily smooth and silent running. This engine will see the S-type past 60mph in 8.2sec and on to the far side of 140mph, its six-speed automatic gearbox proving the perfect partner. And it will do

36mpg in normal running.

It is hard to find any fault with this S-type, as long as you confine your observations to the manner in which it dispatches all roads, from urban to rural. Its ride is pleasant, firm enough to imply sportiness yet sufficiently smooth for Jaguar comfort, while its handling is engaging enough to make up for the ultimate technical superiority of BMW's 5-series.

Living with it is a different matter though. A minor restyle - can you spot it? - has done little to alter the perception that, visually at least, the S-type shape remains the automotive equivalent of the Blues Brothers 2000 movie - an ill-conceived attempt to plunder an original classic that should have been left well alone. That swooping body shape is not exactly space efficient, as anyone who has travelled in the back of one knows.

Given these limitations and the fact that they can only be properly addressed by an all-new car (still a couple of years away), it is to the S-type's considerable credit that it remains so likeable. Indeed it is little short of astonishing when you consider how easy it was to dislike when new in 1998; unlike wines, cars rarely improve with age, though the S-type undoubtedly has.

As a company, Jaguar has an interesting future ahead of it. All its current product was styled under a regime that ended five years ago; now a man called Ian Callum is in charge and his credits include the Aston Martin DB7, Vanquish and (some say) no small part of the DB9. The first all-Callum car will be next year's XK8, followed in 2006 by the new S-type.

If Callum can make Jaguars as good to look at as they now are to drive, the company clearly faces a very distinguished future.

VITAL STATISTICS

Model: Jaguar S-type 2.7D Engine type: V6, 2720cc Power/Torque: 207bhp @ 4000rpm / 320 lb ft @ 1900rpm Transmission: Six-speed automatic Fuel/CO2: 36.0mpg (combined) / 208g/km Performance 0-60mph: 8.2sec / top speed 141mph Price: £31,670 Verdict: The best S-type, even if looks are dated Rating:

THE OPPOSITION

Model: BMW 530d, £31,900 For: Formidably better, in almost every way, than petrol version Against: Looks likely to split opinion, avoid silly variable-speed steering option

Model: Mercedes E270 CDI Elegance, £30,925 For: Refined, frugal, comfortable and spacious Against: Lacks punch of some rivals, hit-and-miss dealer service

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

"Dori A Schmetterling" haute in die Tasten:

Does the UK reduce tax on Diesel cars? In germany it is just the opposite. Tax on Diesel fuel is low (to protect commercial transportation) OTOH tax on diesel passenger cars is high, to get the people's money the other way 'round.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

The price of diesel cars is not subject to a different purchase/sales/value-added tax (I believe that is/was the case in some western European countries).

The annual VED (vehicle excise duty, 'road tax') is the tax you pay to register the car.

I have taken as examples the Merc C-Class under current Euro III standard:-

- W203 saloon C 200 Auto: GBP 160 (same as my CLK 320 Cab)

- W203 saloon C 220 CDi Auto with 195 tyres: GBP 155.00.

and

BMW 3-series E46 saloon under Euro III:-

- 320 manual: GBP 160.

- 320d manual GBP 135.00

- 330d manual GBP 155.00.

The figure depends on CO2 emissions.

If anything, modern diesels attract slightly lower VED but, actually, this road tax will hardly make a difference to anyone who can calculate because it does not go down by much, even with substantially less emissions.

For comparison, the Smart City Coupe Hatchback Smart & Passion versions cost GBP 75 per annum under Euro III & IV.

You can look more vehicles up here:

Company-car tax (an addition to income tax for driving a company car, which is -- rightly -- seen as an addition to personal income).

In Apr 2002 a CO2-emissions-based system was introduced.

Under the Euro III norm diesel cars carry a 3% penalty which is, however, waived for any cars meeting Euro IV.

More details from the Automobile Association (AA):

Thus I am not sure why the reviewer wrote about a reduced tax burden unless he meant that this new Jag attracts a lower tax burden than its predecessor. Too much work to find out...

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

People in Europe has a price advantage on their heating oil... I heard UK diesel is over $6 a gallon... and their heating oil is only$1.50 a gallon... I read this on a forum... but not sure if true... if so, wow... heavily taxed.

I'd like to know from folks in Europe on their diesel and heating oil cost. Thank you.

Reply to
Tiger

Current prices in Belgium

Heating oil 0.3743 EUR / liter ( < 2000 liters - 6% VAT incl. ) 0.353 EUR / liter ( > 2000 liters - 6% VAT incl. )

Diesel 0.845 EUR / liter (21% VAT incl.)

Petrol 95 Oct. 1.137 EUR / liter (21% VAT incl.)

Petrol 98 Oct. 1.166 EUR / liter (21% VAT incl.)

Reply to
Bart Deschacht

WOW!...Heating oil cost only 44% of diesel... US is not that big... maybe only 20 cents difference from current price of $1.75 I think.. So people of Belgium can use heating oil in their car if they want... add 1 quart of kerosene to every 5 gallone of heating oil to keep the fuel liquid during cold climate.

Although I must warn you... it is illegal to do anywhere... but unlikely to catch you. They will check big rigs and farm equipments where fuel consumption is high... unlikely to check on cars.

Reply to
Tiger

No, they can't. I am not aware that heating oil and diesel fuel are the same thing. Aren't they a different cut?

In the UK the 'big' issue is the use of agricultural diesel (lower taxes) but there is a colour difference and if you are caught (farmers being subject to the greatest temptation) the penalties are very heavy.

In the UK most domestic households use natural gas for heating not oil, and I would have thought this applies to all countries abutting the North Sea, Belgium included.

Diesel fuel costs about 80 pence per lire in the UK, perhaps more. I don't have diesel and only rarely visit filling stations because I only do about

5K miles p.a.

Right now petrol has been climbing because of rising crude prices, just like in the USA, but remember that the government take is vast in western Europe, which is why the prices of 'non-motoring' petroleum products are so much lower (more 'normal').

This is why all the bleating about fuel prices in North America elicits no sympathy, well, maybe crocodile tears, from Europeans.

It also explains why fuel economy is so much more important in Europe and elsewhere in the world and why many people outside NA feel that the NA fuel prices are too low as profligacy is effectively encouraged or at least not reduced.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

I routinely get marine diesel as heating oil here in the USA. There's no difference in formulation, only in color to distinguish between taxed and untaxed fuel.

Chas Hurst

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Exactly... they are the same stuff...

Reply to
Tiger

Not in the UK. Heating oil is kerosene but diesel engines will run on this as long as some lubricating oil is added to protect the pump. It stinks though, so is easily detected by nose. If one must run an offroad vehicle on the stuff, then a safe blend is 1 to 1 diesel to kerosene with a gallon of super universal oil to every 50.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

it all has to do with taxes, diesel fuel and home heating fuel is essentially the same thing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included, reply via the newsgroups or ask for a valid email address.

Reply to
127.0.0.1

There is also City Diesel (for vehicles) which has a very low sulphur content.

John

Reply to
John Boy

The use of diesel engines in automobiles in the US was seriously compromised by GM's inept designs. So long as most people remember those things, the future of diesel passenger cars is cloudy. Jim

Reply to
Jim

"Jim" haute in die Tasten:

I thought this has to do with today's ultra-high emission standards, which can only be met by high-tech diesel cars, which will depend on high-quality low sulphur diesel which is not available at every station. When I was in the US last time (1998), I saw quite a few old Mercedes W123, most of them Coupés, with diesel engine (Mercedes never sold them that way in Germany).

I see another big problem with the rise of Diesel sales. In my understanding Diesel fuel is one fraction which falls off during the production of normal car fuel. So the amount of diesel available depends on the amount of fuel produced generally. If the sales of Diesel cars rise sharply, while the sales of other cars drop down, oil companys may run short on diesel while having too much other fuel.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

The heating oil and diesel are the same, except for the colour. Heating oil = red; diesel = yellow

And if Customs catches you using heating oil instead of diesel: well ... you get a fine! Needless to say it is a big one ;-)

Reply to
Bart Deschacht

No price advantage per se, but you get up to a 50% return on your "investment" in terms of miles per gallon which is what attracts people to Diesel.

Reply to
Scott M

Scott M haute in die Tasten:

Up to 50% seems to be quite optimistic, I'd rather take a 30% advantage, which still is quite impressive. But you have to take into consideration: Shorter service intervals, more complex technology (turbocharger, high pressure injection system), higher insurance rates (at east here in germany), sometimes higher car prices...

As a rule of thumb you save money with a diesel car in germany, when you travel at least 15.000 miles per year. If germany would not have lower taxes on diesel fuel, figures would look way worse.

BTW: savings depend on the type of car. A comparison made by german car mag ams said, that a Diesel Mercedes is the better choice in every case.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

My point exactly; it's not only the cheaper fuel.

In the 'old' days you could argue more reliable, longer-lasting engines but with modern, complicated turbocharged diesel engines and better petrol engines I am not sure this would apply any more.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

The GM problem was that they simply used a gas engine and convert it to a diesel...weak engine and tons of problem that scared people away from diesel. Probably a conspiracy.

Diesel is the first product that comes out of refining crude oil... the least amount of effort or energy to produce... so it should be cheaper.

The probability of diesel fuel short production due to high amount of diesel engine sold in US is not likely. The shortage of diesel fuel due to extremely cold winter that put high demand on heating oil is a good possibility.

Reply to
Tiger

To be fair, other diesels of the era weren't so great either. The VW and BMW diesels sold in the US were converted gasoline designs, and also had trouble with head gaskets, etc. Neither was as long-lived as a true diesel either. Same with Peugeot, Audi and Volvo. While the Volvos and Audis weren't as troublesome, they weren't any longer-lived than their gasoline counterparts.

They'll always find a way to meet market demand, but the connection to home heating oil is true -- diesel prices always go up in winter. The colder the winter, the more they go up.

I look forward to more Euro-diesels being available in the US in the coming years. VW TDI are already selling at a huge premium, both new and used. It's not just the current gas prices that are driving it, either -- it's people finally discovering how good these vehicles are, after years of being deprived of them. There's nothing like chugging over a mountain pass with a full load and the AC on, without having to downshift, or even touch the cruise control.

Matt O.

Reply to
Matt O'Toole