Brake trouble

I have an 89 YJ and I'm having a problem with my brake lights that I can't figure out. I was backing up the other day and noticed that my brake lights weren't coming on.

The parking lights, back up lights, and hazards all checked out okay. I went out and bought a new brake light switch, but that didn't fix the problem. As it turns out, both the old and new switches work when I squeeze them with pliers. However, neither works when installed. If we bypassed the brake switch altogether, the lights came on. While I was at it, I checked the wiring and it all checked out okay.

I believe it's a mechanical problem, not an electrical one. After a lot of frustration, I finally figured out that the lights will come on if I move the switch around on the rod coming out of the power brake booster. Thinking that the rod that connects the power brake booster to the brake pedal might have worn, I replaced the booster, but that didn't fix the problem either.

It certainly seems like it's a mechanical connection problem, but I don't know where the problem is. As far as I know I've put everything back together correctly. I've had it by the dealer and they only came up with the same things I already figured out.

I know I could simply install a universal switch, but I'd like to get it working properly.

Thanks for your help! Steve

Reply to
motorrad

Drink

You obviously don't have it adjusted when it is installed.

If the switch and wiring work in your hand, then the only reason it won't work when installed is the adjustment or a broken wire inside the plug that hooks onto the switch. The adjustment is a pain to do sometimes and sets the depth of the switch.

If the $tealer can't fix it, you just 'can't' be offering enough cash....

I'll bet they insisted on that $100.00 if you bring it in the door fee just to start eh?

Mike

Mike Romain

Yeah, the switch works. Just not when installed. 87-90 use one type of switch. 91-?? use an entirely different set up.

Reply to
motorrad

Well, like I said, it's not an electrical problem. It's not the switch. The switch works. Just not when installed. 87-90 use one type of switch that isn't adjustable. 91-?? use an entirely different set up. It's something mechanical in the way the switch is installed or the components themselves.

Reply to
motorrad

My next guess is the obvious one. Wrong switch. Could be the wrong switch in the right box too. Maybe try an 86 CJ7 switch? That for sure is the adjustable type. I was under the impression that the first generation YJ's had mostly CJ parts.

The broken wire at the clip can be sneaky. The insulation can still be good and it can still conduct when hanging free, but put it in place with a bend and no contact. I just had that happen on my heater switch. I got burned for my troubles on that one, there was no mistake about the break inside 'that' wire, it was smokin'.

Mike

Mike Romain

Um...even the old switch works. I don't see how it could be a switch problem. It doesn't seem like an electrical problem. Seems it's the mounting.

Reply to
motorrad

Could the mounting plate have broken or the threads have disappeared? Jeeps get rust in the strangest places under the dash....

Mike

Mike Romain