Buying your first Jeep

I am looking at buying my first Jeep.

There is a 93 YJ with the 4 cylinder and an 89 with the inline 6. Both are about the same asking price and seem to be in pretty good shape.

It will be used as my daily ride and run for 400 Km a week at 80 Km an hour back and forth to work. There will only be a little off roading and I am sure pretty tame compared to some members.

Are there any recommendations on engine size/ type. The 6 has 160,000 Km now and the 4 has 170,000 Km on it. Both are 5 speeds.

Winters are cold here and the 4 has half doors and soft top only. It would be hard to keep it warm in the winter yes? The 6 has full doors and hard + soft top.

I have read alot and am still reading more but looking for a link to info on what to look for in buying and older Jeep.

Any words of wisdom are appreciated.

Thanks Patrick

Reply to
PJ

jeepforum.com go for the 93

89 if you are mechanically inclined and like fiddling with carburetors. I have an 89 I enjoy working on it when I'm not driving it. If I had a newer one it would still be the same.
Reply to
Scott Smith

Somewhat even choice. I'd go with the 6 cyl version.

-Fuel economy is about the same for both (lousy that is!)

-Hard top is much nicer for both winter and road driving. (But you do have to take the top off and find some place to store it!)

-Hard top is usually a strong bump in price.

-you can stay warm in the soft top but it does need to be buttoned up tighly, no gaps, cracks, tears, etc. Radiator and heater core flush would be reccomended.

-4 cyl has fuel injection, more reliable. 6 cyl still has the cursed BBD carb, a royal pain if it isn't working correctly.

-80 to 90 kph is about the limit for comfortable driving with the 4cyl, the 4 does not really like 100 kph freeways.

On either one, you (or an expert) need to check out the 4wd drivetrain components (transfer case, driveshafts, all 6 U-joints, clutch, clutch slave cylinder, etc) Running an engine compression check is not a bad idea, these are both tough engines but who knows what kind of driver and maintenance they have seen. With 150km on each, expect to need a whole rash of minor (but irritating) things like brake pads, U-joints, belts, hoses, etc. Most of these are do it yourself but having a shop do it can get expensive.

Check for signs of off road use: Brush scratches running horizontally on the paint; gouge marks on the bottom of the differentials and on the main cross member under the transfer case. See if the main leaf of the springs seems to be a smooth arc and not have any funny reverse bends. None of these are deal killers, they just point to one that may have heavier use than the other.

Have fun!

PJ wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

The four cylinder engine is adequate for one or two person commuting. If you want to carry a lot of gear or more passengers, you will find yourself slowing down with that engine. At highway speeds there is some fuel savings compared to the six cylinder engine, although not as much as one would expect. I blame the comparatively poor fuel economy on the vehicle aerodynamics, or lack thereof. The four cylinder engine is marginally cheaper to maintain (four spark plugs instead of six, for example). The fuel economy can be improved somewhat with the addition of a larger diameter cat-back exhaust and a less restrictive intake system. Either of the vehicles you are contemplating probably needs a new exhaust anyway. For the less restrictive intake, carefully consider the amount of dust and other contaminants where you live. If those 400 km a week are on a gravel or dirt road I might not recommend it. I am now getting 25 mpg with my 1995 four cylinder YJ, but compare this with 45 mpg from my Honda Civic, 29 from my wife's Honda CR-V, and 13 from my three-quarter ton Suburban.

One year I commuted to school with the YJ, fifty miles each way, five days a week, mountain roads, ice, snow, fallen trees across the road, huge boulders rolling down, etc. I prefer the hard top in the winter, but one winter I never bothered to change over from the soft top. I survived.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Personally the 4 bangers are under powered go for the sixer. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Yeah niether... If you can afford it; keep looking until you find a 4.0 equipped YJ (91 to 95) or TJ... The 4.0 is the superior engine to the

4.2 in the 89 YJ . For numerous reasons it is both more reliable, stronger, more powerful where you'll use it most (on the road). It's fuel injected and has a repuatation for passing 200K miles without major work...

If you're tight on dollars and Fuel economy is a major consideration, then forget about jeeps :) if you can't then early 90's Cherokee's with the 4.0 get better mileage (by 3 or 4 MPG) than Wranglers, they are also a dime a dozen, and can be had in great shape for less than $2000 without looking too hard. So they are considerably cheaper than the YJ/TJ or even CJ.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Thanks to all that responded. The advice is great! I am without a Jeep but still looking.

Thanks aga> I am looking at buying my first Jeep.

Reply to
PJ