Can I disable the air bag?

Perhaps a blown fuse may imply poor maintenance, or rotten luck, but a pulled/missing fuse would imply deliberate action taken by an individual to bypass the safety system.

Clint

Reply to
Clint

It's a known problem that people under about 5'0" tall are much more likely to be injured by the air bags. The air bags were designed to expand so that a rib cage starting more than 10" from the steering wheel would be protected but not crushed. Short people typically move the seat well forward so that both arms and legs will comfortably fit the controls. Shoulder belt usually has more slop in it, wouldn't help much. Of course, if you had a 5 point harness cranked tight like the racers do, it's not a problem.

Dave Milne wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

Yep, that's why I suggested deliberetly blowing the fuses and reinstalling them, as... "find another way, an unprovable way, to stop current flow in that circuit."

Jeff DeWitt

Cl> Perhaps a blown fuse may imply poor maintenance, or rotten luck, but a

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

See:

Dennis wrote:

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

You guys brought up some good points that I didn't even consider such as insurance. I checked with my insurance company about deactivating the air bag and this was the first time this question has been asked to him. He had to make a couple of phone calls and found that deactivating the air bag would have no effect on my policy. They discouraged it because having the air bag in a serious collision would be better than not having it. I checked the website from Lee Ayrton and it answered a lot of questions. According to the NHTSA if she can maintain a minimum of ten inchs between the center of the steering wheel to the breast bone and use a properly adjusted seat belt the air bag shouldn't cause any damage. After checking it out she just makes it. They said the people who are injured because of air bags are those who sit too close to the steering wheel or wasn't wearing a seat belt. Thanks to all who took the time to help.

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

Investigation of whom? If you remove the fuses, and later are killed in an accident while driving the vehicle, would the other driver be charged with manslaughter?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I imagine his wife's family would be upset that their daughter died when her car (It is her car that he wants to disable the airbag on) is in a fatal accident after he disabled the system.

Reply to
billy ray

I know this is late but being an Insurance guy:

I don't know about other states but in the state of PA there is a process for legally doing what the OP is asking

  1. go to a dealer and tell them you want to install a disable switch 2. fill out a form that goes to the state informing them of your decision to so
  2. call your insurance company and let them know what you have done

The insurance company that I work for would just remove the passive restraint discount (30% for us)

Reply to
tjce

Or you could invert it: He knew that she sits too close to the airbag, which presents a hazard to her. If he didn't disconnect it and she was killed by the airbag...

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

billy ray wrote:

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Doubtful -- though many have tried; but eventually, due to both advancing age and general decomposition, Hughes does tire out after a long squawk.

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 23:16:54 -0700, L.W.(Billie) Goatman-Hughes III, well-known peacetime war-hero and spud-shaver, attempted yet again to write coherently. He failed once more, keeping his record flawless.

And there you go again, the very stupid, uneducated, blithering, verbally flatulent and obese girlie coward from Vista, California via

70.181.140.164 whose only way at all to get attention is to make a fool of itself.

Repeatedly.

And if you didn't understand that, it's because it's written in proper English.

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III