Car alarm question - where to install radar sensor

Where is the best place to install the microwave/radar/field disturbance sensor? I have a Tuffy Console and was thinking about putting it inside the arm rest. I have heard that under the plastic of the center console was popular but having steel i'm not guessing it would work. IF it will go through plastic i'm guessing some foam padding and a vinyl covering should be OK.

It's a 2-stage sensor too, BTW, in case it matters. It was included with my new Alpine alarm I just got at Circuit City for $38.xx brand new on clearance. It's replacing my old alarm which apparently had a non-functioning radar sensor....in the center console.

Shawn

Reply to
Endo

Hehe, you ought to take a look at the Mythbusters episode at Discovery where they test all this radar gizmo's .-)

oil

Reply to
Odd-Inge

I think you are confusing radar sensor with radar jammer. Yes, the Phazer and the rest of the crap that Rocky Mountain Radar sells is nothing more than a load of FUD. I have a radar detector, one of the better ones out there...an Escort Passport. I'm covered as far as police radar detection goes. Not that it helps much, only state troopers are allowed to use radar. Everyone else uses VASCAR, which is only detectable as you are driving over top the white lines painted across the road :) I do have an effective X-band radar jammer that actually transmits a signal but it's usefulness has declined since the introduction of K, KA, and LIDAR.

What I was talking about originally is the "dual sector digital radar sensor" that alerts my car alarm when someone walks to close to the vehicle or reaches inside while the top is off. I need to know what kind of materials the signal will pass through and where the best place to mount it inside my Wrangler is.

Shawn

Reply to
Endo

Endo did pass the time by typing:

Last time I saw one of those installed it was on the overhead roll bar. Usually they have a sensor light you can see and will run without being hooked into the alarm system.. So get a long power jumper (speaker cord) and test fit it all over. Sensitivity depends on the material. Cloth and plastic block a bit, glass blocks a bit more, metal compleatly obscures.

Reply to
DougW

Yeah this one has no indicator light on it unfortunately.

Shawn

Reply to
Endo

Au contraire, anything can be used for VASCAR. Not just white stripes, although they're a sure sign it's an area intended for them. A cop with VASCAR can hit the button when you pass a detectable landmark. This could be anything; a stripe, seam, bridge... anything. And use anything else as the end marker. The cop then only need use exactly the same markers. It's all about the stop/start times over the distance between two points.

In short, the best way to fight vascar is to keep your eyes open and ASSUME they're running it of you see a cop.

But I tell ya, since I got a Jeep speeding just isn't a worry. My tired old XJ couldn't break the speed limit unless you threw it off a cliff, a TALL cliff.

Reply to
wkearney99