Charging my Air Conditioner

The AC compressor clutch cycles on for about 2 seconds then off for about 3 seconds then repeats. It never blows cold. It worked fine a few days ago, so this is a sudden onset of symptoms.

I have R134a. I also have a guage that plugs onto the Low Pressure Port. The sad thing is that I've not used it for a few years and I forgot how.

I have to connect either the guage or the fitting that connects to the can of stuff, but I can not connect both at the same time. I think I have to take a pressure reading to make sure it is low. My guage has GRN, BLU, YEL, and RED sections. Green is 0 to 25psi, blue is 25 to 45, yellow is 45 to 46, and red is anything above 65, the guage limit is 200.

I need to re-understand the directions.

I _think_ I want the needle to be in the blue area or yellow area, but by no means in the red or green areas. I have not checked yet, but I suspect it currently is in the green area. Once I ensure that the pressure is indeed low, then I can add a can of R134. One can should bring the pressure to

45ish psi.

I _think_ what is happening now is that my pressure is right on the line, and when the compressor kicks in, the result is pressure drop below the threshold of the Low Pressure Switch, so the compressor kicks out. This causes the pressure to rise and satisfy the Low Pressure Switch, so the compressor kicks on again. The problem repeats from there, and the compressor clutch kicks on and off due to activity of the Low Pressure Switch.

I've owned the vehicle for a year, and have done virtually nothing to it. It has worked perfectly until today, when the AC elected to go offline. I have no reason to suspect a leak at this time, but if the can of r134 does not do the trick, then I'll need to take it somewhere for service.

All I can do to the AC system is put the stuff in, and I have to ask to be sure I have the process right.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I bought a double size can of juice that included a hose and guage. The directions were printed on the can, and they said to juice the system up to about 50 psi for the current temp at my house. Completely counter to the luck that runs in my family, the can was empty just as the spec was met.

As soon as the pressure came back, the compressor clutch kicked on and remained on, and the cabin air temp hovered at about 50°F.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Watch the system over the next few days/weeks Jeff, check the connections, especially where the metal ends are made onto the hoses, and the front of the compressor clutch for any oily leaks.

Be cool, (pun intended)

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader