Air-conditioner light blinking: "compressor problem" according to manual

2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES V6 (3.0L)

As I was driving today the air-conditioning stopped working, and when I glanced over to the fan-control knob/air-con switch, I noticed that the green LED indicator was blinking instead of being solid. Having never seen that before I didn't know what it meant, but the a/c wasn't working. Tried all settings, temperatures, cycled it on/off, etc. but could not get it to work.

Reached my destination and when I restarted the car after about 2 hours, the a/c worked the first time. No more blinking lights.

Came home and read the manual and it says in 3.0L engine models, a blinking light indicates compressor problems and I should take the car in to the dealer! Sounds like bad news.

Since I won't get a chance to take the car in the next couple of days, I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and what the fix was? Thanks.

-- Himanshu

Reply to
Himanshu

Could be several things. a) Low refrigerant pressure. Get the system repressurized. All systems leak a very small amount of gas, usually around the compressor shaft seals.

b) high refrigerant temperature. There's a temp sensor that releases the compressor clutch if the refrigerant temperature gets too high. There's also a high pressure switch that does the same. See c) below.

c) condensor fan or radiator fan not functioning. This allows the refrigerant temperature to exceed design specs, and this shuts down the system. Low rad coolant will have a similar effect.

Was it very hot when the problem occurred? If so, and since the system still works, you can probably ignore it, unless it happens again.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

replying to Stewart DIBBS, Ding wrote: Your car is somewhat newer than mine (I have an '03 Outlander), but having had the same problem and done some searching the answer to mine was the pressure switch. Here is the answer that fixed mine:

Start your car, lift the hood and turn the a/c on. Listen to ensure that the compressor cycles properly without any unusual noises (click and whirl noise is normal) like a squeal. Cycles OK...no noise, compressor is fine. You more than likely have a clogged drain tube that you can run a wire up and drain; and you need to replace the a/c pressure switch because that is what is making you blow hot air. The a/c pressure switch is a typical problem on these Outlanders and people wind up replacing their compressor, when they only needed to replace a $25 part! Hope this helps solve the problem. GOOD LUCK!

Reply to
Ding

replying to Ding, Steve Cansler wrote: Which pressure switch? There's one on the high side line, and there's one right next tot he compressor. I ordered both but I'm curious which one it was for you.

Reply to
Steve Cansler