Emiss Maint light

Have a 88 mod Jeep Ch.Laredo 4.0L Autom. The light "Emiss maint" started to light today, anyone knows what it means ? I have no manual. The light is below the part time light left side.

I had to do some welding on the exhaust pipe some weeks ago, I have a little leak, any connections here ? Appreciate any help.

Best Regards Geir R.Pettersson snipped-for-privacy@heating.no

Reply to
Geir R.Pettersson

It comes on with the timer box reaches XXX miles. Either unplug the box, try to buy a brand new box, drill a hole in it and reset it, also check the 02 sensor. The light indicates that it is time for a new 02 sensor or at least to check the old one. I still might have instructions on resetting the old box, if you want to try that. I have not done mine yet, it is just unplugged. Maybe one day. lol

BTW I have some new 02 sensors left to sell for the 87-90 4.0 engines, that is if you need one. 8^)

Reply to
Dave

It is a mileage timer telling you you need to go spend money at the dealer.

It cannot be reset and must either be replaced to start counting again or simply unplugged and you figure out yourself when you want to go spend money.

It is for the O2 sensor and had no bearing on reality.

The box to unplug is on the center side of the steering column under the dash and under the cruise module if you have cruise control.

It can just be unplugged.

Mike

"Geir R.Petterss>

Reply to
Mike Romain

The O2 sensor was under recall on our 88. Got the recall done 3 years ago or so and our 88 is pushing 300,000 km.

Mike

Dave wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

FYI: There is a recall on the O2 sensors for your Jeep. If you've never replaced yours, I run it over to the dealer and see if you can get a free one.

Reply to
noone

Wish I had known that before I had changed mine and found a stash of new ones for other 87-90 XJ 4.0l engines. :-( Someone did successfully reset their timer and sent me instructions on how to do mine. later, dave

Reply to
Dave

Thanks to all, for your help. At the moment the Emiss Maint light has been turned off by itself. I guess I will have to disconnect the next me is show off. I did use some plastic padding on the exhaust, cause I had some major leak in the main unit after welding, however the light went off before I did that. Anyway, appreciate your help. I am sure it want me the last time I ask questions. Have a nice Christmas.

To the ones that have seen my other request about cruise control, it is now working. I must have touched some wire or something when I was looking for the emiss maint box to disconnect, cause now the cruise control work, must be the Christmas spirit.

Reply to
Geir R.Pettersson

I didn't bother to note down that timer 'fix'.

I can't see any reason to have an idiot light telling me to go spend money every 80K or so. I go spend enough money when something is 'really' broken.

Mike

Dave wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

lol I agree with you Mike, that is why I have not done might yet. I think that some people just like everything functioning. Oh and some people need reminders to tell them when to have their oil changed! ;-) I might do mine one day just for fun. later, dave

Reply to
Dave