factory rocker panel guards

A friend of mine is replacing his factory rocker panel guards I just wanted to know if anyone has taken them off of their rubicon or
put them on a different tj say a 2004 x
1.What size torx and or socket do I need ( stripped many torx bolts due to wrong size bit) 2.How do they mount underneath (manual is not real clear)
TIA Frank