Garage floor sealant?

I am about to purchase a new home, and I have a Jeep (aptly nicknamed Leaks n' Squeaks), another fairly leaky vehicle (78 MBZ 280SE), and two kids who love to make art and spill things. I'd rather not have my garage floor all stained, so I am asking for advice on garage floor sealant. Which ones are good to use, which ones are lousy, etc.

I have seen ads for Muscle Gloss and it looks like good stuff, but it's a tad on the spendy side (>$300 for a 2-car garage). Also, I don't run a shop, so I probably don't need to spend the cash on industrial-grade stuff. I'd like something that will hold up (don't want to be re-painting the thing a couple of times a year), not be slippery (again, the kids), and not break the bank. I know Behr makes some, does anybody have any experience with their product? Any info, advice or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Crouse

twaldron

Like TW said, the prep work is critical to a good floor sealant, not matter which one you use. None of the "good" sealers are going to be cheap. I haven't used this one personally, but I know people who have:

It has been a very durable sealer for them. I'm sure there are others out there that work just as well.

Chris

I used the Behr product in a new home in 1992. Wouldn't do it again. Hot (or warm) tires will lift if off the concrete. Even though you think you don't need "industrial grade stuff," spending a little more now will save a lot of heartaches and additional expense later.

I don't have any experience with Muscle Gloss, but I have heard good things about it.

Another option would be to leave your garage floor bare and spend your "coating money" on a decent pressure washer and some galvanized drip pans for your vehicles. You can use the pressure washer for many things around the house (including your garage floor, patio, sidewalks, windows, siding, washing your fleet, etc.), and if there is a Costco nearby, your total cost should be less than $200.

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

Reply to
twaldron

How would POR-15 do?

I know, from spilling some on concrete, that it is very resistant about coming off. lol and like everyone else said..............prep the floor well!

When my garage was new, I used concrete floor sealer. Looked good for a little while, but after a while and with the help of chemicals that I used, scrubbing and cleaning, I don't think the sealant exists on the floor anymore. :-(

just a thought, dave

Reply to
Dave

Home Depot and Lowe's have a new floor sealant. it's an epoxy mix paint. It's new and I don't know of anybody using it yet. I did a shop floor with a Sherwin Williams epoxy paint about 10 years ago. The floor after a good mopping looks too wet to walk on. It has a bulletproof coating. It's a scrennprinting shop and there's tons of chemicals and the floor is mint. But if your watchign pennies it's probably not for you. It's a 3 part mix that runs about $100 for the least amount plus it takes abotu 3 days to fully cure/dry.

Mr. Bill at a 4 way stop.....the vehicle with the largest wheels has the right of way My Jeep is not an SUV....your SUV is not a Jeep

Reply to
AUTOKAWKR

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

rustoleum has a new sealer product out. I checked it out at my Menards and Home Depot. not too bad.. about $150 for a big floor. plus it has "sprinkles" or flecks that you can add to the paint during the dryning that will act as traction.

davez

Reply to
dave

The Sherwin Williams stuff is an epoxy and I had to buy 3 parts that mixed to equal 5 gallons to cover about 500 sq ft. Cost about $250. Try Home Depot or Lowe's I think the stuff they have does an average single single car garage, maybe galoon total in size for less than $100.

Mr. Bill at a 4 way stop.....the vehicle with the largest wheels has the right of way My Jeep is not an SUV....your SUV is not a Jeep

Reply to
AUTOKAWKR

Thanks for all the info guys. I used the Rustoleum product and other than a few minor complaints (below) I am so far very happy. I have not driven on it yet (the instructions say to allow a full week to cure before tire traffic), but so far it has held up well to the heavy non-vehicle traffic of moving in.

Positives:

  • One-step application
  • Good instructions
  • Looks very nice when finished (I used the dark gray)
  • Easily available at any Home Depot

Negatives:

  • Acid prep solution could have been a little stronger -- my floor was in pretty good shape to start with and it did not clean as well as I had hoped
  • Had some difficulty getting the (wet) paint to stick in a few spots

-- it would come back up on the roller and had to be quickly touched up with a brush to provide coverage

If any major problems develop, I'll follow up with another post to help future Garage Guardians beware.

Thanks, Matt

87 XJ "Leaks & Squeaks" 78 MBZ 280SE "The Gray Ghost"
Reply to
Matthew Crouse

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

There's this old fart who posts here frequently that would be more likely to claim that Real Jeepers don't have floors, and definitely not concrete ones.

Approximately 11/10/03 18:08, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III uttered for posterity:

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)