{OT:} Garage floor painting, anyone done it?

I'm looking to paint the floor in the garage where I park the Supra. Fisrt, I want it to look nice, second the thing is such a LEAK I want to be able to clean the floor!

I know I have to clean and then 'etch' the floor with Muriatic acid, but being, er, "frugal" I want the most bang for the buck. Wal*Mart had kits for about $39, but of course they were sold out today. I guess this comes with a cleaner, an etcher and a 2-part epoxy floor paint.

They are available elsewhere...for $79! Too much!

I have alos made a couple other 'discoveries'. Benjamin-Moore makes a garage floor covering for about $35, and Behr also has one (actually, two: an "epoxy modified" Acrylic enamel, and a 1-part epoxy covering, price unknown.

Anybody tried any of these?

Reply to
Hachiroku

In my research, I have notice paints that are labeled "Resists Hot Tire pickup". Behr makes a couple and Benjamin Moore makes one or two. Quickrete makes a few that are labelled this way.

I almost bought a gallon at Wal*mart, but I bet I'd have that same problem.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Save yourself the time and money would be my advice. You will find it will cost you more of both if you paint the froor than if you sinply clean it as needed. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I've painted my garage floor several times over the years, with battleship grey from a reputable maker like Behr or Glidden and never experienced pull up from hot tires. The only minor problem is the black residue from tires, especially when turning the wheel in backing out. It comes off with a little mopping and scrubbing. I've never used acid to etch the concrete. My only word of advice is to buy the best paint available. So many folks think a bargain paint is just as good (for whatever purpose)....there's a reason some paint is more than others...Quality. And a week after you paint, the difference between $14 and $17 a gallon seems quite forgettable. The garage floor paint runs (or ran a couple of years ago) about $26 a gallon as I recall. Good luck with the project, Hachi!

Reply to
mack

You should really reduce your carbon footprint and practice what you preach. Painting a garage floor seems like a waste of resources and contributes to global warming. I think the practice should be made illegal and maybe it will.

Reply to
dbu.,

Wow. Didn't use Muriatic acid? Hmmm...

There are 'kits' for $50-90. but I'm cheap. There is paint available at Wall-World, $15 a gallon. There is also Behr, Ben0Moore and Quickcrete all ~$35 a gallon. I'm going with one of the latter.

And I learned my lesson about 'inexpensive' paint! I bought some $10/Gallon Glidden, and while it was OK, it took quite a bit of painting to cover over a puke-green paint on my enclosed porch. They also had some Ben-Moore "Navajo" white, a light cream white I used for the trim, $1 a quart (someone didn't want it). Magnificent! And i did the garage door and the rear cinderblock foundation/wall with Glidden Spread Dura Satin, $25/gallon. Almost as good as the Ben-Moore, nice finish, one coat.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

(Probably why Wal*Mart stopped selling the Epoxy kits...)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

prep work is key for longevity. Etching/degreasing it is crucial.

Are you aware of the plastic tiles available to cover floors ? More expensive but when you move you take it with you.

forgot the name.. one is called race decking I think

Reply to
RT

I already bought all the materials I need. ;) This is going to be fun! I bought Behr Garage Floor Acrylic. I knew I was going to need an etcher, so I got a bottle of that. After reading the instructions, I also picked up a gallon of concrete bonding primer, and a packet of Anti-Skid.

All in all I saved $10 over buying the Rustoleum kit. The kit had Muriatic Acid, but no primer. So I should get a better result using the primer.

I also have enough materials to do both my garages.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Remember - Solid Color Floor Only. Do NOT use those color flecks they give you in the kit, no matter how tempting the samples look...

Because those color flecks are the perfect camouflage to hide that critical little piece that you can't buy separately, and is trying to hide. Every time you drop a little screw or nut, it's permanently /gone/ unless you want to sweep the entire floor with a pickup magnet and start sorting through the debris for it. And with your luck, you just swept it into an expansion crack...

Been through that while working at customers' houses who have the flecked floors, would never want to do it at mine.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

HAHAHAHA! I didn't think of that, but I didn't get any flecks. Seems they are only available in the kits, which I didn't get. I'm sure I could find them somewhere, but I don't think I'll bother now!

The only additive I did get was the Anti-Slip, that goes in the top coat. They say it makes the paint wear faster, but in the winter I put my snowblowers in there, so there is sometimes water on the floor...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Be sure and post some comment re your experience with this project. If you get a chance, link to some photos. I think a lot of us would be interested. Good comment by Bruck btw. Yesterday, I droped a rusty nut in the driveway gravel - almost impossible to see! jor

Reply to
jor

If I ever get my garage cleaned up enough to *take* pictures, I will! ;) Gotta show off my Garage 'puter, too. ;) Pretty neat setup. I'd really like to get some GIANT model and make a computer in it, like some guy did with a Aircraft Carrier...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I'll tell what I've done so far. The exterior wall has never been painted, so I'm doing that first. I cleaned it with TSP, then etched it with etcher I got at Home Depot. Of course some got on the floor.

It stripped the floor right down. I'm still going to have to clean the floor with degreaser, but I'm going to etch it first, then degrease it, then etch it again. THere was some spilled blacktop patch, and the stuff came right up off the floor!

Reply to
hachiroku