gearing change for a CJ2A

Some years back I had a '47 CJ2A, and am currently considering getting another (a '48). My recollection is that the stock gearing was somewhere around 5.13 or so, and I'm wondering whether it's possible/feasible to replace those with maybe a 3.08 or even 2.73 set for better mileage and the possibility of doing highway speeds. Are parts available? Can it be done without swapping axels? Thanks.

Joe

Reply to
Rootworker

They were 5.38 ratio. If you're not using the Power Take Off, then find than old Warn overdrive:

Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

There is several problems with this swap idea. First of all, the orignal engine would not pull it too well with a 4.10 vs even a 3.08, next it has a Dana 25 front axle that is only avalible in 4.27, 4.88,

5.38, and 6.17 to 1 and last the rear axle should be a Dana 41 and good luck finding taller gears for that one (or even any gears) Typically D41 are swapped out to D44 as D41's had 2 piece 10 spline axles too.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

The ring and pinion are the same on a Dana 41 and 44, just stronger carrier/bearings on the 44. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Thanks for those tips. Overdrive sounds like the way to go. I seem to recall that Advance Adaptors used to offer one. I'll have to check them out.

Joe

Reply to
Rootworker

But 41 has weak 2 piece axle that was the bane of AMC 20 too. Besides nothing is going to turn that into a econobox and it is best left as it is gear wise unless it has a different engine installed.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

What you seek with OD on that Jeep you will not find. You will never see a return on the cost of this and that tiny mill cannot pull a much taller final drive very effectively. (that is why it had 5.38's to begin with) Good Luck!

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Check out Herm the Overdrive Guy, very highly respected by everyone but call, don't email

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer