Hey Mike and or Bill

I asked a while ago about seals for the power steering on my 81 CJ7, one of you gave a site with a seal kit, think it was $17.00, anyway time to quit topping it up every outing and fix it, it's the seal were the steering shaft goes in, anyway if someone knows were to get the seal kit I'd appreciate it.

Reply to
Greg

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I bought mine at NAPA.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Bill, The leak is where the steering column goes into the steering box. The pitman arm should not need to be disturbed.

Mike Romain says the seals can be put in while the box is still mounted, all you have to do is pull the steering column and the seals will come off over the small shaft that the steering column is attached to.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Can you come over and do mine? It has been leaking for a very long time and the path of least resistance is to carry a bottle of power steering fluid.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

And were to get the seals?

Reply to
Greg

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I just checked and Canadian Tire sells the input seal for $16.00 and the other various seals if needed or a whole kit.

I just unbolt the box and drop it down to change the front seal leaving everything hooked up to it.

Mike

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks, was going to check them today but didn't think they would come though, guess you don't remember their part # for when I go and the 16 year old says a what for a what? They are not known for having intelligent parts people at the best of times, but all the staff have changed here in the last month so I have to train them all again :)

Reply to
Greg

Got the same problem here. The good parts guy is gone and the last time I got a part number off the bozo I was talking to on the phone, he got it wrong so I didn't bother asking him this time.

Too bad to, the local CT used to be a great one, now they only have one brain dead fool on parts. I wonder if they know how much business he has driven away?

Mike

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I got a complete Rebuild Kit at NAPA for about $40. I think the seal is less than $10 if you just want to do one.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

May try them today, Can Tire didn't have one in stock, looked on computer and said there is only one in warehouse in Calgary, I said order it, but saying there is only one is only one away from sorry, we are out.

Reply to
Greg