High-Altitude driving question

I have a '94 Wrangler ( 4-cyl, 2.5L, OBD-I, 130,000 miles ), and I am going to be driving it in Mexico next month at *extremely* high
altitude (at least 13,000 feet, and maybe up to 15,000 feet).
Is there anything that I can or should do ahead of time to prepare the engine for high-altitude driving (other than the obvious stuff, like a clean air filter)? FWIW, I have also heard that Mexican gasoline is several points lower in octane rating than USA gasoline.
TIA, john w. ( jwallacq AT hotmail DOT com )
Hi John, Replace your fuel filter before and after your trip. Located Inside the frame rail, on the drivers side above the front half of the spring. There's a shield you have to remove to get to it. Knurl out your gas tank filler trap door to except leaded gasoline and kiss your catalytic converter good-bye. Firearms are illegal, hide it well, and be prepare for shack downs, by the military. God Bless America, ill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com /
jwallace wrote:

My YJ, '91 runs fine at 13,000. Can't speak to other issues.
On 4 Oct 2004 12:25:44 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (jwallace) wrote:

jwallace did pass the time by typing:

- The higher you go the less octane your engine will require.
- Never take a firearm or ammunition (even one bullet) into Mexico unless you want to spend many many years, in prison. They have zero sense of humor on the issue. Read this ---> http://travel.state.gov/travel/gunsrel.html
- Check with the dealer to see if there is a high-altitude modification for your Jeep. In some cases there is a special CPS sensor that has been offset for higher altitude. Older Jeeps had a high-altitude wire but yours is probably too modern.
- Take spare parts, especially a fuel filter, and if you have them, belt and hose repair kit. Mexico isn't too bad for finding parts but your better off if you bring your own.
--
DougW

Cocoa leaves... Nick
-- http://members.cox.net/nnote /