Hopping

If I turn the steering wheel more than 90 degrees on my fulltime 4WD 1995 Grand Cherokee, once it gets warmed up on road, it hops terribly. Is there a problem with the differential?

Reply to
ModernBlues

ModernBlues did pass the time by typing:

Could be any number of things, bad CV joint on the front axle, damaged front diff, or a problem in the transfer case. Only the rear axle came with limited slip and you can check by looking on the pumpkin. There will be a round metal tag saying to use limited slip additive.

Has anyone ever lifted your ZJ by jacking the pumpkin? Always lift from the frame. Jacking from the pumpkin can bend the axle and cause premature wear on the bearings.

Any popping noises on turns?

You can check by jacking the front up then spinning the front wheels. They should turn opposite of each other and spin freely. Then turn the steering to the side and try again. If it lopes then I'd suspect a bad CV joint.

The other thing to check is your xfr case fluid level. It should be even with the upper fill plug. Double check your service book but I believe the quadratrack case for your year takes regular ATF fluid.

Reply to
DougW

Is this on or off road? Nick

Reply to
Nick N

Do you have Quadra-trac or Selec-trac?

Reply to
Mark12211

Thanks for your input. No popping noise, kind of a wearing or rubbing noise. I don't know about the jacking history (purchased used), but, I noticed after I bought, that there are two "tow hitches?" in the FRONT of the vehicle. The transfer case and trany fluids have been changed recently. No mention of loss of fluids.

Reply to
modernblues

This is on road. Only happens when warmed up, riding on road for a while.

Reply to
modernblues

I have Quadra-Trac. I've noticed after I purchased, that there are two tow hitches on the front end. I hope no one tried to tow with the transfer case engaged (not in neutral)!

Reply to
modernblues

I would believe this to be the viscous coupler in your transfercase... but others on here would know more than me. This is an expensive ($1000+) repair. There is a lot of information in previous posts on this subject.

-Don

Reply to
Don