How much grease to put in fittings on 2004 Rubicon?

This is the first car I've owned that had fittings that you had to use a grease gun on. I was doing it yesterday and I realized I have no idea how to tell when I've pumped enough grease in. I had been taking the car to the dealer for service due to coupons for oil, filter, grease and tire rotation for $50, but finally decided I should be doing myself like evey other car I've owned. I put 6 or 8 shots in some of the fittings and 10 or 12 in others and tried to judge when the rubber part felt "full". How are you supposed to know how much grease to put in? Thanks for your time.

Reply to
Lee

Exactly as you did, by feeling when the rubber part feels full. Too much will just squirt out and possible damage the seal. It's better to just add grease until you see the rubber boot just start to swell.

Unfortunately, there's no rule, you'll just have to learn with experience. There used to be a tool for U-joints (don't know if they still make them, if so, Google didn't find it.) that you put on the end of your grease gun that had a pressure release built in, when the joint filled up and created some back pressure the tool would let grease squirt out of it's release vents. Problem was that if the zerk fitting was clogged, the tool would release grease, you'd think the U-joint was full but it wouldn't be greased at all.

Reply to
XS11E

On all the Jeep ones I have seen, you pump them until the water squirts out followed by a bit of grease. If too much grease slips out, a rag works...

They are 'not' sealed units, the 'rubber' dust caps are free at their bottoms to let the water out when you grease.

Some 'older' style ones were sealed, but even they usually had a release nipple on their sides to let water out.

I always get 'some' water out of both of my Jeeps every grease job.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > This is the first car I've owned that had fittings that you had to use
Reply to
Mike Romain

Plus if you fill it with new grease until the old stuff is pretty much gone, you flush out anything that might have mixed into it.

Mike Romain proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

At the stealership they only put in a pump or two to avoid blowing out the boots.

Reply to
jeff

Sorry to tell you this, but they only do that so the trapped water stays inside the 'non sealed' boots so they rot out 'way' faster than if 'properly' greased at least until the water squirts out.

This is a Scam!

I live in Canada and it rains lots and I take my Jeeps off road.

I have 'always' gotten some water out of some of my tie rod ends or u-joints with every grease job. There are no 'sealed boots' on Jeep parts just for this reason.

Really, just go with your finger on any of the dust caps on the fittings and you will be able to lift their edges easily.

I worked in garages for years and was taught the proper way to do a grease job.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain