Grease fittings on XJ

I need to replace a couple of the grease fittings on the front end of my '00 XJ. Could somebody please tell me what size of grease fittings I will need? If I've got two that have failed should I go ahead and replace all of them? If I do that how many will I need? I counted 5 in the front end earlier but I think I'm missing some. I haven't replaced these before, is there anythin I should know? Is it as simple as removing the old one and threading the new one in?

Thanks in advance Mort

Reply to
Mort

They just unscrew and new ones go in. I usually take one of the old zerk fittings in with me when looking for a new one.

You say you have two that have failed? That is 'very' unusual. I have one lower ball joint in my Cherokee with a 'failed' zerk fitting and I put in another. I still cannot pump grease into that joint, so I believe the whole joint has failed, not just the zerk fitting....

Mike

Mort wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

How do you know they're bad? The easiest way is to take one out and go to the auto parts store... you can even drive the vehicle there, it won't hurt if some comes out. __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

failed as in what?? broke off or won't allow grease to be pumped in?

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

When I pump the one the grease won't even go in. The whole joint is dry which leads me to beleive that it doesn't have grease. On the other as soon as I pump it the grease pours back out. I've only done this once or twive before to a trailer and it always went in nice and easy. Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing. I have noticed that there has been grease on my rims where one of the fittings would drip.

Mort

Snow wrote:

Reply to
Mort

Unscrew one and take it to the parts store... and for future reference, it's important to wipe the zerk fitting off before injecting grease, prevents all this headache. __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

Reply to
Will Honea

Will Honea did pass the time by typing:

Or you use a 15,000psi lube gun and just blow the little ball across the garage. >_<

(followed by a real impressive stream of grease)

DougW

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Are the grunts that tall or is the doc that short?

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Last night I replaced 4 of the 5 fittings I could find in the front end. One was missing the ball and the other three were seized. The last one was missing the ball but I couldn't remove it. It seems to be seized in the bottom of the joint, the 'disc'(?) that it fits into is spinning in place. Any ideas on how I could hold the disc in place to remove the fitting or is this a sign of another problem.

Thanks Mort

Will H> On those frozen zerks, take a small hammer and tap it right on the end

Reply to
Mort

Reply to
Will Honea