How The HElk Do those things go in my hood?

2 years 3 months and some odd weeks, I still havent given up on it. This jeep is like a marraige. I cant afford to leave it.

First, how do these u bolts go into the hood? they just dont make sense. Second where does the footman loop (s) go one on the windshield frame i know for sure, and one on the hood too (not sure)? this kit gave me a small footman loop and a large footman loop that doesnt seem to fit any hole. Anyone have pictures of how this all goes together? trick to putting these in? links or illustrations? Is there rubber bump stops too? maybe those occupy the two holes in the center of my hood. dont think it was all there to begin with.

if i had to rate my jeep on a scale of 1-10 when i first got it i would just punch the guy in the face for selling it to me. not just for selling it to me, but for calling himself a mechanic. his repairs (if thats what you call it) made fat albert look like macgyver... i dunno.

Hinges. I replaced my windshield frame, glass, seal, everything from the cowl rubber up. now my doors wont fit. the hinges look like they should be on a honda, not my &^%* JEEP CJ-7. 1976 was a good year. Back then they made real hinges. I might as well just take some hinges from home depot instead of this crap Collins Bros sent me. But they did send me a good windshield glass. ........ now if only that valet guy didnt drive my jeep into the gate as he was trying to figure out the 3 speed i wouldnt have had to replace all this crap in the first place.

Reply to
OldARMYJEEP

The U bolts go in the 2 holes on each side of the hood and the footman loop goes in the center of the hood. The U-bolts are the holders for the windshield when you fold it down and a strap goes from the footman loop on the hood to the one on the inside center of the windshield frame.

Mike

Mike Romain

Footman loop in the center of hood, check u bolts in outer holes on hood dont seem designed properly. aftermarket junk. is there a trick to them?

Reply to
OldARMYJEEP

To set them correctly, you should have the Jeep hood level and fold down the windshield. You then can adjust the double nuts on each leg with one on each side of the hood to set the depth of the U-bolt so it makes the windshield sit level too.

I set mine from the top until the U was square with the windshield frame and the frame was square with the hood looking from the front on, (measure on each front corner) then set the depth to make it level from the side on, (with a level) then went under and tightened them up from the bottom. I had to do them a couple times to fine tune it square.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

I bought aftermarket U-bolts & footman loop (Steelhorse junk) a few years ago for my son's '94 YJ.

They really were junk! The U-bolts came with single nuts on each and no flange on the U-bolt to prevent them from rattling around on the hood. The factory U-bolts had a flange that tightened up against the hood as the nut was tightened. The cheap ones require double nuts, which you will probably have to buy from a hardware store.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

The cheap ones assume you will use the nuts from your stock parts.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

The cheap ones had thinner threads than the stock ones, so the nuts would not fit.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

The hood rests should have double nuts on them so you can set the height and angle. Stock, the rests and footman had washers above and a sheet metal backer plate behind to prevent the hood from puckering.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Lee Ayrton