Jeep Cherokee serpentine belt problem

Yesterday..my serpentine belt "came off" the pulley assembly..I notice today that the main pulley on the engine block at the bottom has appeared to slide out about 1/2 "...thrwoing off the belt alignement. There is one hex bolt in the center of the lower pulley...can I just tighten this up and will it pull the pulley back the 1/2 inch to the engine block...or is there something else major going on here ?

Jeep Pioneer Cherokee 1987 4x4 4-speed manual 4.0 engine

Thanks, Tim

Reply to
tr

If the pulley really came out that far, you should be leaking engine oil all over the place. Maybe the harmonic balancer is coming apart. Put a wrench on the bolt and see what it does.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

That pulley is in two pieces called the harmonic balancer. If they have separated, it is dead.

Like Earle mentioned, try the bolt and see.

Mike

Mike Romain

Sounds to me like your harmonic balancer has split.

The question is, has the whole balancer slid out or just the outer ring. The balancer is two parts of iron with a rubber isolator band between them.

If the balancer has moved then you need to replace it now. Not a hard task if you get the correct tools. And don't let someone tell you to beat the thing on with a hammer or draw it in with the bolt. That's a great way to mess up the crankshaft and main bearings.

If the balancer is fine and the whole crank is actually able to move 1/2" then that's a "bad thing" and will require serious engine work.

Reply to
DougW