Jeep Wegoneer Stalls

Me and my buddy got a 1989 jeep wegoneer from my dad and it has a brand new rebuilt moter in it. The only problem is after that it sat in our yard for

5 years with no love or care. once and a while it would be started. It runs well but if little pressure is applied to the gas it likes to stall out.it will move but you have to be very carful. im gonna cleane out the carb along with change the oil,spark plugs,oil filter,gas filter,and air filter. the new moter only had 20,000 miles on it. do you think this will solve my problem or could you sudgest anything else. thank you
Reply to
james tacke via CarKB.com

james tacke via CarKB.com did pass the time by typing:

You might luck out but when engines sit a long time then get started for "just a bit" you get lots of wear. I wouldn't run the engine any more till you get the fluids changed. A compression test would be a good thing also.

Your stalling may be due to a sticky float or needle in the carb (or a sunk float).

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I absolutely agree with bill. Bad thing happen when you let the vehicle sit for a long period of time. Not to mention moisture accumulating in the oil and fuel. Your on the right track with what you are doing or planning to do. But your carb probably needs a rebuild that I don't think fuel treatment will cure. When the fuel sits in the carb like that, it evaporates, leaving behind all kinds of deposits that gum up the carb and all of the gaskets and rubber parts deteoriate. They are designed to be constantly in fuel, not left to sit and dry rot. I would do what you plan, take bills suggestion to hear, and last but not least, take it in and have the carb cleaned and rebuilt either yourself if you know how or at a shop. After that, its another story...... thanks for the pics bill.....

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com