Lift struts frozen?

Robert did pass the time by typing:

Safety clip? I know the struts used on my ZJ are so strong it's impossible to compress them by hand. Mine came extended in the package.

Reply to
DougW

Hey ... this is probably a stupid question, but here goes.

I just bought new lift struts for my XJ, and they seem to have completely freezed up. I took them out of the package, and can't move them at all. Can't compress them, can't extend them.

They are Strong Arm brand gas-filled struts, and they've both been frozen since they arrived. No luck at all.

Am I missing something?

Reply to
Robert

We used to install various types of those in a shop where I worked. It is hard to do, but try twisting the shaft with pliers, careful not to damage the shaft. "lefty loosey".

Spdloader

"Robert" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bresnan.com...

Reply to
Spdloader

Problem solved ...

I just put a phone book on one end of it and sat on it, giving about 190 lbs of pressure. It finally budged a little. It's just really tight when new. After the first compression, it seemed a little easier.

Reply to
Robert

"Robert" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bresnan.com... : Problem solved ... : : I just put a phone book on one end of it and sat on it, giving about 190 lbs : of pressure. It finally budged a little. It's just really tight when new. : After the first compression, it seemed a little easier. :

*over the glasses look*

Ok, now THAT is an interesting mental picture!

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

I'm an ER Nurse.. I can just see it now... and how did you get THAT stuck in THERE?? ~D

Reply to
Dave

Maybe I'm having a senior moment, do you mean "longer shock absorbers" when you say "lift struts'?

"Robert" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bresnan.com...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Matt,

Back door opening devices. They keep it from falling on your head. These things are amazing. The ones on my YJ still work, and I still can't believe that any kind of seal would hold gas pressure that long.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

When I bought replacement struts for the lift gate on our ZJ, I couldn't move them at all (call it frozen.) I had to practically pry them onto the mounts, but once I got them in place (with great difficulty) they worked perfectly. They are just very resistive to movement. Have to be because of their small size.

Reply to
Dick

If they are fully extended already, you will have to work pretty hard to compress them. If they are not extended yet, they are tied closed (compressed) and you're not going to compress them any more, nor will you be able to pull them open.

"Robert" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bresnan.com...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

ROTFLMAO!!!

Reply to
jbjeep

Rear hatch/window struts. Helps keep from getting bonked on the head

Matt Macchiarolo proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Hey ... the phone book was 3 inches thick ... no bum cracks plz. LOL.

By the time I realized how that description would sound, it was already posted.

Time to change my log> > "Robert" wrote in

Reply to
Robert

"bum cracks"??? You're just ASKING for it! ;) _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase') A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II. _____________________________________________________________________

Robert wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

Gotcha...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Matt Macchiarolo did pass the time by typing:

That seal is the result of years of study of over 1,000 politicians around the world.

Reply to
DougW

Hi Robert:

I need a new set, just curious where you purchased your set and how much you paid? Thanks

"Robert" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bresnan.com...

Reply to
Carley Simon

Carley Simon did pass the time by typing:

Yep. Your missing the 100+ lbs of force required to compress them. :)

Once you put them on the door, they will compress.

Get someone to help hold the door when your working on it or your arms are going to get mighty tired.

Reply to
DougW

I had the same problem, but no helper. I propped the hatch open with a

2x4 and shimmed until the strut was an easy fit. The second strut is much easier.

Merrill

DougW wrote:

Reply to
merrill