machanical/electrical Temp-gauge questions

Im about to purchase an auto-meter,2-5/8 water temp gauge, to go with my machanical oil gauge, , i was wondering if the elecrical is better or worse in its readings than the machanical, looking for pros and cons,

also is my stock water temp gauge connected to my computer?

90YJ2.5L if so ill leave it, but where is a good mounting for the new gauge? thanks johnp
Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Dirty Ditch Dawg did pass the time by typing:

Why so large? The 2 1/16" ones are usually just as easy to read and take up less realestate. Just something to think about.

The mechanical is a pain in the ass, you have to route the plumbing and can't cut or kink the line or it's fubar. Electrical allows you to get away with a lot more, including mounting two or more sensors then using a switch to flop between them.

Yes.

Write or call AutoMeter and ask them if you can splice into it. Some can, some can't. I dunno about your gauge but some of those are idiot lamps only and are just a thermal switch used to detect operating temp.

Some reading

I've seen them spliced into the heater core feed lines and screwed into spare bungs in the radiator jacket or block. One built a custom sleeve that spliced into the lower radiator return line. Just remember they require fluid flowing past them to work.

Reply to
DougW

Bill, i dont mind drilling holes,(i hate electrical) im a worn out carpenter,,

if i unhook the plug from my old gauge set, will this throw my computer into a fit and tizzy? , johnp

Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Bill, im building a new dash, so im getting rid of the original gauge pod, , so im ass-u-me-ing, that if i went elecrical for the water temp i could just splice the new sensor into the old wires, and plug into the new gauge, , but if i go machanical, i would leave the wires alone, but just unhook them from the old gauge-pod, here is where i wonder,,,knowing zip about elecricity, does the current HAVE to go through the gauge, for the computer, or can it be unplugged, (i suppose i could cut the old gauge out and duct-tape it up under the dash,) , johnp

Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III