"Modification" Of Catalytic Converter ??

"What if" I found a 2000 JGC for sale, but the Seller told me that he had "modified" the catalytic converter, by welding in a piece of straight pipe in its place ?

I am not a mechanic, but I seem to recall that there are one or two oxygen sensors before and after the catalytic converter that feed information to the car's computer, adjusting the carb, etc etc. Are there steps that can be taken to get around this potential problem ?

If this would be a significant problem, should I either avoid buying the car, or just plan to have a new catalytic converter installed ?

What are the pros and cons ?

Thanks for any tips or advice !!

James

Reply to
James

If you really want to buy it, tell the seller if he doesn't sell it to you at your named price, with a new cat installed per factory specs you'll take the VIN and report it to the DMV and EPA, and he'll be fined through the nose.

:-)

Seriously, though, if you live in a state that requires smog inspection that's an automatic fail. And if he did that, you have to wonder what else this genius has done to it. Did he tell you why he installed a "test pipe?" If you are going to buy it, you should really have him pay to install the cat, as it's illegal to operate it without one.

As far as the O2 sensors go, you're right, it senses the exhaust gas mix and adjusts the fuel delivery parameters (no carb on this one, it's fuel injected) and the lack of a cat would give false readings and probably screw up your fuel economy.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Call your aftermarket exhaust shops and price a cat installed. Whatever the price is, negotiate the difference with the seller off of his asking price. If you think the Jeep is what you want. It needs to be on there so it'll pass inspection. The O2 sensors are precat, so the engine computer doesn't really know it's back there. It is there to insure the unwanted pollutive gases are more completely burned before exiting the exhaust. Most cats made in the last ten years or so aren't as restrictive as the early ones, but people still take them out, thinking they are "freeing up more horsepower".

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Reply to
The Merg

Reply to
The Merg

It is strange that he removed the CAT in the first place. I believe he wrongly assumed he would get more HP. Having said that, the biggest concern I would have is not with the EPA. My biggest concern would be if your state requires an emission test to register the vehicle. If so, your screwed because it will never pass without CAT. If you live in a sate that has no emission tests, then go ahead and buy the Jeep. You have nothing to worry about.

Reply to
Anthony T

There is likely to be an 02 sensor after the cat, even my '97 has an 02 sensor mounted into the cat at the tail-end of it. That 02 sensor's job is to check for proper 02 sensor function so I'm surprised there's no Check Engine light.

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Thanks for all the input, guys !!

James

Reply to
James

In Colorado where I live no one would care. Maybe in the polluted Front Range the Colorado Clean Air Program is still active and the monkey doing the inspection would take a look under the car. Heh heh, who are we kidding here. As far as the DMV going after this guy, c'mon, it's Colorado. EPA, maybe but he's a private citizen. Do you think they have money to go after every guy who installs a "test pipe" in his vehicle?

We have different standards in the far western and eastern parts of the state than in the heavily populated Front Range area. The argument is that the pollution is "diluted" so it is fewer parts per million in the air we breath. There is no periodic emissions inspection unless you live in the Front Range including the Peoples' Republics of Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins and Colorado Springs or one of their puppet communities. If you periodically "commute to or reside" in the Front Range area you are supposed to get an inspection, but who do you think does this?

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Didn't see where the OP mentioned he was from Colorado.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

He didn't.

He /appears/ to be from around Jacksonville, FL.

True:

There'snothing in the header that confects with Comcast domain, except previously Ithought they were all in Canada. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Of course it's true, Llewdellen, I wouldn't have posted it otherwise.

You /could/ learn from that, but you won't.

This crapola isn't worth translating.

And we all know what this hypocrisy is.

BTW, you've been reported for cross posting.

He didn't, but Colorado is a good example that the EPA isn't all powerful. "Fined through the nose" just wouldn't happen here.

Earle

information

Reply to
Earle Horton

And so have you, draft dodging coward in Vancouver: snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca, snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca, snipped-for-privacy@sjrb.ca God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Befogged opinion noted.

Dangerous advice noted.

Thank you for sharing.

Well... Chrysler screwed up the programming on some of the computers. I'm pretty sure my cat is bad (it rattled like crazy for a couple of months then stooped at around 100k miles) but the check engine light never came on until about 250k, when it started coming on intermittently. When I had the engine replaced at 300k they scanned it and told me the rear 02 sensor was bad, so I replaced it and the light went out.

Then I get a recall notice from Chrysler that they want me to bring the Jeep in so they can reflash the computer and replace the cat if it was rattling. It seems the computers weren't picking up failing cats, and no , they wouldn't replace the converter if it had been rattling but stopped.

So if I took it in for the recall I would have driven in with a healthy Jeep and driven out with the Check Engine light on.

Needless to say I didn't take it in!

So if the Jeep the OP was looking at was effected by this same problem it could very well be that the check engine light never came on.

Jeff DeWitt

Jerry Bransford wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

And the loser here is you. Read the recall. The warranty on the cat is extended 12 months or 12,000 miles from the date the recall is performed. If the light comes on within that time, and it's a cat efficiency fault, the cat will be replaced.

Quit whining about it and get it done.

Reply to
bllsht

I'm with you, the last time I bought a converter it was under seventy bucks, but now they're stealing them here in God's Country, like the used to the air bags, costing the victim close to six hundred bucks. At least pick it up for the person he may sell it to. Probably that's why it's not rattling it's already blown out the guts setting fires all along the way. And would surely fail a SMOG test on transfer. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Yes, and as fast as you can too.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to